Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #191 
purplemuffin

It really is a rough call. Considering 70% of cats in shelters are put down, and the leading reason for people putting their cats in shelters is due to them clawing up the furniture.... well...

In a perfect world, I would say no declawing. It should be a last resort. I have a 10 year old cat who was declawed when he was a kitten and he still is very sensitive about his feet. Of course the surgery has improved since then, but I can still see it's a painful process. All of our cats we have raised ourselves are not declawed. We work with them to prevent clawing of the furniture. Not every cat responds to that training though, and not everyone is willing to train.

If it means saving the life of the cat, I can understand declawing. It shouldn't even come to that though. But yet, it does. No one ever picks up cats from shelters. Especially not cats who are adults.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #192 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Mm, yes. It's like spraying (which apparently neutering doesn't always solve). People don't wanna put up with it. I sure wouldn't. The clinic I worked at used the laser to declaw, wasn't as bad as the knife.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #193 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think de clawing is a good last resort like the nail problems on them but if it is just because you do not like clawing that is bad. I think a good situation for DE clawing is okay if they claw and scratch stuff and they do not respond to behavior treatment and different tries.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #194 
TheCrabbyTabby

My friend said it best when she said this:

"If you want furniture without claw marks, then don't have a cat."
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #195 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I like that more I should have said aggressive with claws and dangerous better to de claw your cat than it hurt a toddler or passerby and be put down.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #196 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well, cats are way overpopulated anyways.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #197 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
It really is a rough call. Considering 70% of cats in shelters are put down, and the leading reason for people putting their cats in shelters is due to them clawing up the furniture.... well...

In a perfect world, I would say no declawing. It should be a last resort. I have a 10 year old cat who was declawed when he was a kitten and he still is very sensitive about his feet. Of course the surgery has improved since then, but I can still see it's a painful process. All of our cats we have raised ourselves are not declawed. We work with them to prevent clawing of the furniture. Not every cat responds to that training though, and not everyone is willing to train.

If it means saving the life of the cat, I can understand declawing. It shouldn't even come to that though. But yet, it does. No one ever picks up cats from shelters. Especially not cats who are adults.
2/3 of my neighbors cats were adopted as adults they fell in love with the kitten.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #198 
teeneythebetta

I see what youre saying. I would rather have my fingers cut off at the first joint rather than be killed for no reason other than the irresponsibility of others..
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #199 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Well, cats are way overpopulated anyways.
If people made sure most cats did not breed the overpopulation would be lower there are the feral cat problems.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #200 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
If people made sure most cats did not breed the overpopulation would be lower there are the feral cat problems.
Speaking of which... im pretty PO'd at my neighbor atm.
I worked months with a TNR Trap neuter release program and we managed to catch all the female feral cats that hang out on my street. We set up traps, captured and transported them to the vet.. but one female was left that the TNR program would not alter because my neighbor allowed her into her house, therefore she was considered my neighbor's cat. So my neighbor told me she would have her fixed at her vet.

And now 3 months later... the cat is pregnant! She is a very tiny framed cat that had a miscarriage before. After all that hard work, we have more unwanted kittens!! Hopefully the mother makes it!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote