Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #241 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
no dog is dangerous simply for its breed or mix thereof. the danger comes when people specifically mix "tough" or "mean" breeds to accentuate certain characteristics, and that's only because the kind of people who usually do such things are the kind who mistreat their dogs to turn them into fighters, junk dogs or other dangerous "roles"
Thank you!!! Well said
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #242 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard toy dog between working dog is dangerous because of confusion. But a pit bull lab is safe unless personality lets it be dangerous.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #243 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I have heard toy dog between working dog is dangerous because of confusion. But a pit bull lab is safe unless personality lets it be dangerous.
I've never heard that before, but if it were true, how would that make it dangerous?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #244 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Because one has working instincts one doe not but generaly muts are great.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #245 
revolutionrocknroll

Biggest myth and controversy in the dog training and behavior world ever:
"In order to have a successful relationship with your dog you must show it who's boss because otherwise it will try to dominate you because that's what wolves do in the wild."
False. First of all, a wolf pack consists of a breeding pair and their puppies. They don't fight for dominance. The pups defer to their parents, and any older siblings the same reason any offspring would- the parents care for the pups, protect them, teach them, are bigger, stronger, and more experienced. The only known cases of wolves fighting for rank are in forced captive packs of unrelated adult wolves being forced to live with each other and can't disperse to their own territories, so they will fight until they figure out a stable structure and who they can defer to.

Second, while a dog is genetically the same exact thing as a wolf, developmentally, they're juvenile wolves. It makes more sense for a dog to think of a human family as its family with parents and siblings. Using physical or mental forms of intimidation and aversives in order to "dominate" your dog will result in breaking the spirit of softer (more sensitive) dogs and cause them to "shut down" (learned helplessness) and have no effect or worsen the behavior of hard dogs. Behavioral problems don't come from dogs trying to take over the world xD They come from lack of training, socialization, not understanding English or human expectations, or bad genetics.

Myth: busted!
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #246 
LittleBettaFish

I hate when people compare wolves to dogs. There is no comparison between an animal that has been domesticated now and selectively bred by humans for thousands of years, to one that has changed little from its original wild form.

All this talk of pack leader and alphas drives me nuts. Dogs are not pack animals, and yet people like Cesar Milan still advocate their outdated theories to the masses.

I remember watching a documentary where in an unusually large wolf pack, the rest of the pack attacked and killed the alpha male and female. However, because none of the other wolves were experienced enough the whole pack fell apart and I believe most of them died during the winter.

The narrator said it was very unusual for that to have happened.

Edit to add that this was just a random snippet of information stemming from the talk on wolf packs haha
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #247 
revolutionrocknroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I hate when people compare wolves to dogs. There is no comparison between an animal that has been domesticated now and selectively bred by humans for thousands of years, to one that has changed little from its original wild form.

All this talk of pack leader and alphas drives me nuts. Dogs are not pack animals, and yet people like Cesar Milan still advocate their outdated theories to the masses.

I remember watching a documentary where in an unusually large wolf pack, the rest of the pack attacked and killed the alpha male and female. However, because none of the other wolves were experienced enough the whole pack fell apart and I believe most of them died during the winter.

The narrator said it was very unusual for that to have happened.

Edit to add that this was just a random snippet of information stemming from the talk on wolf packs haha
I agree! I've seen "The Dog Whisperer" and a lot of dogs he deals with actually either have anxiety and fear problems, or were just never trained. But he just says "Oh, your dog is being dominant, let's do some alpha rolling, that should fix the problem"

Was that by any chance a pack that was released into Yellowstone? I was reading something by Temple Grandin and she mentioned a huge pack that was captive and then released into Yellowstone and completely fell apart. I don't remember the details, but it sounds familiar.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #248 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I've actually heard that mutt dogs get confused over their purpose and that's why they lash out. I'm pretty sure I did hear that on the dog whisperer, so take what you will from it.

Not a myth, lol, but we're talking about wolves. I have a wolf book, and in it it says that generally old wolves are evicted from packs and left to die once they are useless. One researcher encountered an old female that was kicked out, and she stumbled upon a related pack of a young mother and her daughters (no males.) They actually allowed the old wolf to stay with them, and feed from their kills until she passed on after a week or so. Pretty cute.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #249 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It makes sense to me think not all my neighbors dog is a labrador beagle and some dog bred for hunting lions. She is a bit aggressive she can have weird behavor. I just want to point out there are genetics associted with aggression. I guess I was wrong but are there any dog breeds that actually have a lot of aggression no matter what.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #250 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Rhodesian ridgebacks are the lion hunters.. Aggressiveness does exist in genetics, yes.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote