Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Collecting nutritional information of different betta foods!

Hi! I'm making this thread to compare the different kinds of fish foods (including frozen and freeze dried) out there (generally targeting carnivorous fish). I'm hoping to eventually come up with a table for comparison.

To contribute, please post the:

Code:
NAME:

INGREDIENTS:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
CRUDE PROTEIN: 
CRUDE FAT:
CRUDE FIBER:
MOISTURE:
ASH:
VITAMIN A:
VITAMIN D:
VITAMIN E:
OTHERS:
When you have done this, please post the name of the fish food in the tag so we dont get replicates

Thanks!

So i'll start with what I have.

NAME:
NLS small fish formula

INGREDIENTS:
Whole antarctic krill meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole wheat flour, algae meal, beta carotene, spirulina, garlic, vegetable and fruit extract, ginseng, vitamin A acetate,DL Alphatocopherol (E), D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Riboflavin supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-ascorby-2,Polyphosphate (stable C) Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
CRUDE PROTEIN: min 48%
CRUDE FAT: min 5%
CRUDE FIBER: max 4%
MOISTURE: max 10%
ASH: 8%
VITAMIN A: 8000 IU/Kg
VITAMIN D: 2500 IU/Kg
VITAMIN E: 200 IU/Kg
OTHERS: NA

NAME:
Aquaselect Freeze Dried Blood worms

INGREDIENTS:
100% freeze dried blood worms

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
CRUDE PROTEIN: min 60%
CRUDE FAT: min 8%
CRUDE FIBER: max 7%
MOISTURE: max %
ASH: NA
VITAMIN A: NA
VITAMIN D: NA
VITAMIN E: NA
OTHERS: NA
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #2 
MSG

Wow, wouldn't this require typing all that information out? Too much work.

I can post clear pictures of the ingredients list instead
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Wow, wouldn't this require typing all that information out? Too much work.

I can post clear pictures of the ingredients list instead
That works too :)
Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Repashy meat pie (carnivore food)

This is a high-protein low-filler food. My fish don't like it much, but I keep trying to feed it to them anyway, because it's so good for them...at least on paper.

MEAT PIE
Carnivore Gel Premix

Our Meal Replacement Gel for Carnivorous Species of Fish, Amphibians, Invertebrates, and Reptiles.

INGREDIENTS: Whole Sardine Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Krill Meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Dried Kelp, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Dicalcium Phosphate,Taurine, Spirulina Algae, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 55%, Crude Fat min. 7%, Crude Fat Min 6% Max 8%, Crude Fiber max. 6%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 9%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2.5%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Oh yes! I remember looking at the website where its sold XD kinda grossed me out though

hmm phosphorus... that's interesting.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #6 
MSG

Testing.....

Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

thanks :D your NLS small fish has diff ingredients to mine. even the nutritional analysis is different... interesting
Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #8 
MSG

• NLS could have changed formulas. Companies do that all the time to reduce production costs.
  • The PrettyBird UltraColor foods are my favorite ones. Unfortunately their betta specific food only sold 5 units out of the entire case. I'm not sure how many in their case, but I'm assuming 25-100.
  • Because of the lack of sales, they discontinued the product. I didn't even get a chance to look up their ingredient list.
  • If enough people contact them, they can always whip up a new batch of their product. I would assume they would need at least 20 people to buy from them, but this is just a guess. They're a very small family owned company. It would be nice to support them instead of a giant like Wardley's or Tetra that uses very substandard ingredients.

The only negative is the UC pellets that I do own are designed to sink & will do so within 2-7 seconds.

That's why I threw a cognac glass into the baby bettas tank, hopefully she learns to retrieve her pellets & does her dining inside the glass.

When I first started feeding the baby, I noticed she has problems eating the pellets right away.... Instead she swims around the tank with the pellet in her mouth & eventually drops them into the gravel somewhere.

She likes to hide too, so that makes it even worse.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

nice.
baby bettas are easier to train. I trained Kuro to swim into his cup to be scooped out to eat. and he got it after 1 day.

I think NLS's improved their formula to have more protein and less fat. If my memory serves me correctly, the nutritional content is closer to thay of the betta formula.

The family owned brand is interesting. I'm guessing because it was family owned that ir had a shorter shelf life? I would certainly love to give it a try. wont be hard to get 100members to each purchase a bottle...
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Alan Repashy has a small company that specializes in reptile and turtle food. He has three new fish formulations: one for carnivores, one for a general population and one for vegetarians and algae eaters.

From other lists, I hear he is a really nice guy, conscientious and good to his employees.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquaselect fd bloodworms, attisons betta, hbh; omega one, nls grow, nls small fish formula