Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Hospital Cup...?

Well, Lebron seems to have a little fin rot on 2 rays. Blame me, but I couldn't have time and strength because of middle school and chores. But still, it's my fault. Anyways, I still have the cup Lebron came with and can I use it as a hospital "cup" to treat him with Aquarium Salt? I don't want it to progress further so I might as well treat as soon as possible. My other question is on how to acclimate him to the cup? I always use the cup for acclimation but since I'm using it as a hospital, I don't have any ideas... I'm so mad at myself. :\
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #2 
MSG

I thought you cycled your tank?

My 1.5G tank always has 0 ammonia. Even after 3 weeks of NOT changing any water in it.

You should hang out at the pet store when they do water changes. They don't baby the fish like everyone on this forum does. Watching them change water for 4-5 dozen fish will change your mind.

Also I'm sure the breeders on here don't have time to baby their dozens of fish either.

I don't worry too much about acclimatization anymore. As long as the temperature is within 2-5 degrees, I just plop them in. They'll be fine as long as they're healthy.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

I did. But, the readings always seem to be in between 0 and .25. He doesn't bite, and I'm sure it's fin rot. :/
Old 09-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #4 
oryin

My readings are always .25, conditioners convert ammonia to ammonium which is fine but it still reads as if there is ammonia. I would leave him in his tank so that its easier to dose the AQ salt. Depending on the size of the tank is how much salt you add. Use a clean cup to get some of his water and fully dissolve the salt before adding it in. If you do have a carbon filter take it out before adding salt, it will absorb it and you'll be wasting your time and salt. Also helps to bump up the heater a couple degrees if you have an adjustable one. Keeping his water clean is key, now that fin rot has developed its easier for it to get worse if the water is not kept up with. Keeping him in whatever he's in now instead of going to the small cup will be less stress on him with the water changes.
oryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good advice from new member, oryin. But you know this stuff, Lebron. Spend a couple of bucks on a big Tupperware thingy if you don't want to treat him in his tank. Float it in the tank for warmth.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

I have an idea with a deli cup? I know it's my fault, I'm to blame. :\ My heater is adjustable so I might as well do that... If I use AQ Salt in my main tank, wouldn't the salt still be in the water even if I did a 95% change?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #7 
MSG

I would assume the answer to the salt residue is yes. That's why I don't SEASON the main tank. I would have to take all the decorations and fake vegetation out and spray it down with a showerhead to be sure the salt is removed.

Just get a large tupperware container from DT. They have 1G lemonade pitchers there. The negative is these pitchers are not superclear, but they are durable & I think they have measurements on the side.

You could use one of those shoebox sized tupperware but they're 2x the cost, but you would have to measure out out how much water the container will hold.

Using another container for treatment is just easier.

You should check out this new member's bettas. The 2nd half of it is amazing. I'm curious to see what he treats his fish with.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=1233079
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Depending on how bad it is, I wouldn't even treat him with AQ salt. The last few times my boys have gotten fin rot, I just upped the water changes on the tanks and they were fine. Instead of my once weekly on a 10 gal cycled I did three smaller water changes, and they healed right up. Unless it's horrible and/or progressing very fast, I don't think AQ salt is needed.

MSG, you never want to base the care of your fish on the care they receive at pet stores. They know the fish are in a temporary situation and because of this they know they don't have give them the best care. A pet is different.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

OK. :) Sorry I took long, those Bettas are GORGEOUS.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

The cup he came in works great for a QT and usually small enough to float (attached) in the heated tank to maintain temp of 76-77F for treatment.

It best to use premixed treatment water you mixed up in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water. This will help ensure that you are providing a therapeutic dose, the salt is dissolved and you can steep a tannin source. By using premixed water and QT you have more control and ease of observation.

To start a treatment with different chemistry water-especially when the Betta is already compromised.

Use the premixed treatment water and make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour. This will get them safely acclimated to the new chemistry and start the treatment.

Then using the premixed treatment water-make 50% daily water changes for the next 9-10 days.

Once the treatment is completed-Start making 25% water changes with like temp dechlorinated fresh water every 15min for 30min (total of 2).
In the mean time-make a 50% water change on his tank and use the water from the tank for 2 more 25% water changes every 15min for 30min-Then net and add to his tank.

Don't forget about the importance of good nutrition...If you don't have access to live mosquito larva- offer a good quality varied diet in small frequent meals.

With all this said, depending on how bad the fin rot-he might benefit from just a clean water treatment in his tank. Make 50% daily water changes for 3-4 days-then 50% every other day for 3-4 days-Then back on his regular schedule if he responded to the clean water and good nutrition treatment.

Can you post a pic and post the tank stats with healthy history...

Also, carbon does NOT remove salt....only way to remove salt is by manual removal from water changes.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote