Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Depending on how bad it is, I wouldn't even treat him with AQ salt. The last few times my boys have gotten fin rot, I just upped the water changes on the tanks and they were fine. Instead of my once weekly on a 10 gal cycled I did three smaller water changes, and they healed right up. Unless it's horrible and/or progressing very fast, I don't think AQ salt is needed.

MSG, you never want to base the care of your fish on the care they receive at pet stores. They know the fish are in a temporary situation and because of this they know they don't have give them the best care. A pet is different.
Oh, OK. That'll save my money and time. It's not progressing fast. Like, 1 cm for every 3 days.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #12 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryin View Post
My readings are always .25, conditioners convert ammonia to ammonium which is fine but it still reads as if there is ammonia. I would leave him in his tank so that its easier to dose the AQ salt. Depending on the size of the tank is how much salt you add. Use a clean cup to get some of his water and fully dissolve the salt before adding it in. If you do have a carbon filter take it out before adding salt, it will absorb it and you'll be wasting your time and salt. Also helps to bump up the heater a couple degrees if you have an adjustable one. Keeping his water clean is key, now that fin rot has developed its easier for it to get worse if the water is not kept up with. Keeping him in whatever he's in now instead of going to the small cup will be less stress on him with the water changes.
I had ammonia in my tap water, used prime and the BB still processed it and left behind a solid 0 ppm ammonia
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

Thank you for the advice.
I'll do everything I can to help him, even if it's slight fin rot...

I'll post a pic as soon as I can and the last time I tested, it was last week, it was in between 0 and .25. His diet is varied with NLS pellets, tropical flakes, and bloodworms. Unfortunately, no mosquito larvae here. I tried but it didn't work. :/
Old 09-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #14 
MSG

Koi... I know lps employees are usually not the best in demonstrating proper fish care techniques, but most of their fish at that location never seem to have torn fins after what seemed to me as "rough" handing during the water change.

Just made me think twice on whether or not I need to be as cautious when netting mine.

I'm still careful when catching the longer fin ones.

LTB, how's his fins doing?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

Well, it's the same actually. I did a water change yesterday and his ray is the same. :) I'm hoping it will start growing soon.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Well, it's the same actually. I did a water change yesterday and his ray is the same. :) I'm hoping it will start growing soon.
I would just change his water every day/half a day XD until he gets better!
poor lebron D: school really doesnt do good for our fishies
mine's been sleeping at the same wierd hours I have, including two all nighters. and just today theres a piece missing from his tail :(
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

I'm going to a friend's party tomorrow and tonight. :( I can't change his water, but I could change the water on Monday at least! BTW, isn't there a tornado where you live? I don't want your house to get blown away!! D': There's a storm here as well, I'm scared. T-T I'm in the East so yeah. :[
Old 09-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

There was?!?! no wonder there was a huge leak in penn station today!
LOL!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

I think that's what they said on the news. Yes, I watch news even if there are cartoons right now. xD It's actually pretty interesting.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #20 
Pilot00

Sink the cup inside the tank and cup him while inside. Let it float for a while and remove it.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote