Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 
smig

Fin Problem???

Help! I've had my betta Hydro for about six months now just recently I've been having problems with his fins. Several weeks ago his tail starting splitting and appeared to have multiple tears. I put him in a 1gal hospital tank with AQ salt. that seemed to help and after a week I could see the new growth in between where the split were. I put in back the the 5gal tank divided tank he shares with another betta. However when I checked on him yesterday morning it seems like most of his tail is missing!!! It hasn't changed his attitude (or his pigging out at dinner) or effected his swimming. He's back in the 1gal with AQ salt and a drop of Melafix. Is there anything else I should be doing for him? The other fish he shares his tank with is perfectly fine and shows no signs of the fin issues mine has. Also he does have silk plants but they don't seem to bother him at all and I don't notice any discoloration on him at all and the fins don't seem to have any black or fuzzy edges. What could this be??

Pics 1. when i first got him 2. the first time his fins split 3. today 4. his tank buddy sorry there sideways don't know how to fix it

Housing
What size is your tank? 5g normally divided-1gal hospital
What temperature is your tank? about 79
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 time a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I've been doing 100% every other day. Normally 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I've been doing 100% every other day. Normally 50% one time 100% the other
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner small amount of AQ salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? missing fin, they seem very frayed.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes 1 gal tank with AQ salt and Melafix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? they had velvet when we first got them but treated and moved they're tank outta the sun. no further problems until now.
How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown
Attached Images

smig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #2 
MSG

Hydro shares a 5 gallon with the royal blue veiltail?

Looks like Hy is ripping his fins up because he can't get at the other male.

Not a good sign when bettas start chewing on themselves.

At least your first picture of him with all the microbubbles in his new tank came out good. It may be a while before his fins return to that form.

• How often have you been using the salt?
  • Are you dosing the 5 gallon tank with salt?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #3 
smig

Yes they normally share a divided tank and pretty much ignore each other for the most part. While he's in the little tank it's a full reccommend dose of AQ salt. And I always put salt when changing any water usually just less than recommend dose. So that they have a little bit.

I thought it could be him biting his tail too. But it is also on areas of his tail that he could no way possibly reach. Maybe I'll just have to end up getting him his own tank.
smig is offline   Reply With Quote