Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Waiting for a cycle GRRR!

Its only been 24 hours since I set up my divided 5.5 gal and I can't stand it lol. I want the fish now! Im not sure I will make it for the full cycle but I really WANT to...I will have live plants in the tank Sat, anubias, java fern, moss balls, mint charlie and sprite, how long do you guess it will take to cycle? What did you do to pass the time, did anything help you with your patience?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Well, it'll take around a month. Do you know how the process works? And do you have a source of ammonia in the tank right now?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

I read the cycling articles but dont fully understand them...whats a source of ammonia?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Like, pure ammonia, fish food, rotten shrimp, rotting animals and plants, etc. Pure ammonia is the best thing to use for cycling Fishless. :) do you have a test kit?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #5 
Onlyonagoodday

If you need a source of pure ammonia buy the ammonia from ace hardware, I used it and it worked like a charm.
This is an amazing article on fishless cycling.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Although, I'll warn you, my tank has almost completely cycled and it took me 5 weeks for nitrites to even show. I'm on week 7 right now.
Onlyonagoodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The hardest part of cycling ---fishless or fish-in---is waiting for the bacteria to literally fall out of the air into your tank.

Any way that you can get live nitrifying bacteria in the form of seeded gravel or media from an established cycled tank? This is the best way to kickstart the cycle.

Failing this, you might try Tetra Safestart or Dr Tim's One-and-Only. I have no personal experience with either, but I have had positive feedback from some members of this forum.

Patience is the key.

However, if you want to get a fish right away and perform a fish-in cycle, read this:http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

By the way, Lebron is the current expert on fish-in cycling of small tanks. I'm sure he could answer any of your questions.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #7 
OrangeAugust

I cycled mine with my fish in it and it only took two weeks.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
Its only been 24 hours since I set up my divided 5.5 gal and I can't stand it lol. I want the fish now! Im not sure I will make it for the full cycle but I really WANT to...I will have live plants in the tank Sat, anubias, java fern, moss balls, mint charlie and sprite, how long do you guess it will take to cycle? What did you do to pass the time, did anything help you with your patience?
I put live plants in my 10g and added my fish the same day...I am too impatient to do a fishless cycle. I just do my water changes.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote