Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #1 
BettaQi

Doing what we can at Petco

My mom wants a red male betta preferably a halfmoon or double tail or rosetail or feathertail eventually so I cruise the local stores on occasion.

Today I went to Care a Lot and asked them to please change their betta water bc it looked greenish (they only have 15 or so).

Then Petco was on the way home so I stopped in. And saw full scale betta suffering.

Of the 40 bettas, most were visually uncomfortable with their water. Several were squirming around thrashing, some were lying on the sides gasping.

I asked someone who turned out to be the manager if their water could be changed and I showed him 2 who looked awful -- gasping, lying on their sides flailing.

He checked with the fish keeper on duty and I talked to her too --"I've changed the water every day for the past 3 days and they get better, then they start looking bad again -- it just might be a bad batch. I can't see anything on them, and I checked their ammonia level."

I showed her 4 or 5 more 2 actually died while we were talking. I'd taken a bottle of Betta conditioner off the wall and offered to buy it and put a drop in every cup in case it was ammonia which led her to tell me about the ammonia tst.

She said that Petco policy is to only use. Water from the designated red barrel. But before that rule, she had always filled their cups from the cycled water in the community tanks.

I picked up a halfmoon king male who had literally gone from gasping to lying on his side and asked her to please try to change his water (he was HUGE).

So she did. She has 3fish tanks at home and she really had empathy for the fish. Seeing them die brought both of us close to tears.

"I know this probably harder on you," I said "bc you see them every day and to see a whole shipment be in such pain must be very difficult."

"yes ," she said "it's hard bc I don't know what else to do we're not allowed to just take bottles off the shelf and we're supposed to follow the red bucket protocol only, but I've used that water for the past 3 days and may be someone contaminated it bc they're all sick."

As she was talking she went against protocol and changed the king halfmoond's water with cycled water from the tank.

And changed several others that I had brought over from the display. 2 of them were already dead.

I noticed that the king halfmoon was no longer lying on his side and points that out to her.

"I'm just going to change all of their water.". She said.

"Oh thank you so much! I wish I cd help you but we'd probably get into trouble."

She changed water for at least 10while I talked to her using cycled water from the community tanks instead of the protocol bucket.

Several of them started looking better within a minute of the changes.

I made sure to tell her manager what a great job she'd done and to please put my comment in her employee file.

Last edited by BettaQi; 09-06-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Typos
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeash ever since the fish keeper moved up the Bettas water is dirty but they all have water and they are ordering way too many.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Wow that is awesome! the only thing i worry about though is if one of the fish in the community tank is sick it could hurt the bettas. but it is bbetter than whateever that water was that they had. i wish i could talk to people like that the most i ever say is at walmart i ask them to clean the cups but they nevr do. now i just clean them myself using water conditioner and the drinking fountain its sad.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
at walmart i ask them to clean the cups but they nevr do. now i just clean them myself using water conditioner and the drinking fountain.
LOL You do that at Walmart? That's so awesome. I can just picture you stalking in with your bottle of water conditioner, sneaking betta cups off the shelves and sneaking over to the water fountain to change their water. It's sad that you have to do it yourself but at least it's getting done!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Haha yeah my mother thinks im insane :D i actually take some fish bowls, fill them with a few inches of water and float the cups in the bbowls to adjust to temperature xD but i dont go very often so theyre not getting changes frequently enough :(
Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #6 
Xiuhcoati

Ahh the power of being annoying. My husband critiques betta care every time he goes in...what a difference that makes! There's never a dirty cup or dead fish to be found anymore.

Last edited by Xiuhcoati; 09-07-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Stupid auto finish thinks it knows best
Xiuhcoati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #7 
rich e rich

Hello,
I have a betta fish, and I enjoy taking care of them. I just got this one last week. When it came, it was very healthy. I put in a 5 gallon aquarium with a zebra fish and a male guppy, no decoration because there is Methelene Blue in the water. They'll be transferred to the original tank that has decorations today when i clean it. Often, the betta fish just floats at the top in a corner and satys there, fins closed and lame. What's the reason for this? Temperature? I doubt very much that it is sick. the other fish swim fine.

The betta gets aggressive in a semi normal manner with mirrors, meaning that it doesn't flar up immidiately when an image is seen, but a while after.

How can I get the fish to be normal, and swim around etc, instead of just looking, well, like a plant?

is this how betta fish are?
rich e rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Rich what temperature is your tank? i suggest you create a new thread to ask for help if u havent alredy
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #9 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Wow that is awesome! the only thing i worry about though is if one of the fish in the community tank is sick it could hurt the bettas. but it is bbetter than whateever that water was that they had. i wish i could talk to people like that the most i ever say is at walmart i ask them to clean the cups but they nevr do. now i just clean them myself using water conditioner and the drinking fountain its sad.
Undercover betta Savior!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

I would love to use the annoy method bbut i dont hav the social capabilities to do that. i got scared just asking them to clean the cups