Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 
Kitty Whiskers

Exclamation Bad case of Fin/Tail Rot? Please Help...LONG post.

Housing
What size is your tank?~ 30 Gallons
What temperature is your tank?~ 78 Degrees F.
Does your tank have a filter?~ Yes, Aqua Tech 20-40 Power Filter with Bio Fiber.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, 18 inch Bubble wand.
Is your tank heated? Yes, 2-100 Watt Submersable Heaters, One at each end of tank near the bottom.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? All together there is a total of 10 Female Bettas, 4 Cory Catfish, & 2 Nerite snails.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?~ Flakes,Frozen,Pellets, & Freeze Dried. Brands are, Tetra Min, Aqueon, Hikari Bio Gold, & Sanfrancisco Bay Brand.
How often do you feed your betta fish?~ Once a day at 10:00 in the Morning.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?~ Once a week on Saturday Mornings.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?~ 25%? It is 7 to 8 gallons taken out of a 30 Gallon tank.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?~ API Strees Zyme & API Stress Coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Zero
Nitrite: Zero
Nitrate: 40
pH: 9.0
Hardness: 240 Carbonate Hardness
Alkalinity: 180 General Hardness

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?~ Frayed Fins, Tissue missing between the rays of the fins and tails, Swollen Bellies, on some of the Bettas, but none the Cory Catfish have any symptoms.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?~ Seem slower to respond to feeding time, but do still eat eagerly. Swim slower also.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?~ A few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?~ No treatment yet, waiting to be advised first.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?~ No
How old is your fish (approximately)?~ All ages from baby up to 1 year old
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
I seen a couple of the Bettas have minor fraying of the fins, but didn't seem bad. They do not ever fight or chase each other, It is a very peaceful Sorority. But last night they seemed so much worse in just 3 days after I first noticed. Some now have bigger bellies but no pinecone bellies.

1st~ picture is "Star" You can see her fins are starting to look like a crown tail with the flesh gone between the rays of her tail.

2nd~ is "Lacey" with really bad frayed fins. Bigger belly too.

3rd & 4th~ picture is "Petunia" who looks and acts the most sick. Big belly, frayed fins and kind of slimy looking skin.

5th ~ is "Spectra" the fish in my Avitar photo. Frayed fins, Bigger belly and pale colored long "poop" as seen in picture.

6th~ is "Pixie" & "Angel" that dont look to tattered yet. Up in the upper left hand side you see baby Betta " Misty" with a really big belly but not like a pinecone.

The rest of the Bettas don't look too bad yet. Also I took out the smallest baby Betta "Starley" about 4 days ago because she wasn't getting her fair share of food because she swam too slow for her little body. She is in an unheated 1 Gallon Bowl till she gets a bit bigger. But she was in the 30 gallon when the other Bettas started showing signs. So do I treat her too along with the other Bettas? "Starley" is a Crown Tail and so small that I can't tell in the 1 split in her tail and the one split in her top fin is normal or the start of fin rot. What should I do?

What kind of Meds should I buy today at my local Pet Store? A friend told me Maracyn 2 with Aquarium Salt. But I thought Cory Catfish couldn't stand any salt in their tank water and they live in the 30 Gallon with the Bettas. What should I do about the Nerite Snails? Will salt or Medicine hurt them? Please help!
Attached Images

Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #2 
Sapphoira

Well I'm going to let someone else do any diagnosing, but if you are treating with Aq. Salt for anything don't put it in with snails or plants, it's best to work with that in a quarantined environment unless your setup is just a betta in a tank without plants or other creatures. The AQ salt will certainly help with fin regrowth. Have you noticed them fighting at all? I think generally it's suggest to get a more accurate idea of what you are dealing with before medicating.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #3 
Kitty Whiskers

No, they never fight or chase each other. I watch them quite often, sometimes for a long period of time every day. I also like to watch them during the commercials on TV, they are more interesting to watch than commercials LOL.

I haven't added any salt at all to the tank. And I don't have a hospital tank set up. I will probably have to treat the whole 30 Gallon I suppose....
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #4 
Sapphoira

is it possible to set up an hospital tank? It's much easier to treat that way, and you will be able to see and track poop and all that.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 
titolatino1970

please before you salt pull out the snails ive killed tons of snails by forgeting that there in the tank they melt
titolatino1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 
Kitty Whiskers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphoira View Post
is it possible to set up an hospital tank? It's much easier to treat that way, and you will be able to see and track poop and all that.
I won't be able to get the tank till October. By then it will be too late probably.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I need to leave soon if I want to get some Fish Meds before the Pet Store closes. I won't be able to go tomorrow on Saturday and it is closed on Sundays. I want to help them ASAP hopefully before having to wait till Monday....

I'll just have to get anything the pet store employees tell me to get if I can't get a suggestion here for Meds or what anyone else thinks my Bettas have.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #7 
Kitty Whiskers

Ok well I'm off to the LPS to buy who knows what. Whatever junk the pet store people tell me to buy I guess LOL. But thank you to the people who gave a reply to my question . Wish me luck...I'll need it!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #8 
MSG

Make sure you read this before you open the packages of the medication

• Your bettas look healthy to me.
  • Your PH is HIGH!!! Not sure if that's good. Mine is 7.2-7.4
  • Those chunks out of their fins are from the other girls chasing them or whatnot when you're not around.
  • My bettas don't behave the same when I'm right in front of the tank starring at them.
  • It's not finrot. They're bite marks. I'm 80% sure of this.
  • I'm surprised that your girls don't seem to have any missing scales off the top of their heads.
  • Mine love to ambush each other & pluck off patches of scales.
  • Your orangish girl is full of eggs.
  • Petunia should be removed for observation. If any of them is sick it's probably her. I think she's just stressed from being nipped by the others.
How much food do you feed them @ 10AM. You listed a TON of different foods.

• I would probably eliminate the flakes & the freeze dried BW from their diets.
  • Hope you didn't throw away your receipt, because you only need to do water changes & aq salt bath for the purple girl.
Like I said I think your girls are healthy.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I'm 100% sure. They squabbling like female bettas are inclined to do. I have three girls with identical fins. They will heal in time.

I agree with MSG, the girl in the third picture should be QTed.

I'd be more concerned with the Ph, 9.0 is high. I'd suggest you take a sample into a LPS for a double check. Did you use strips or liquid test?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #10 
Kitty Whiskers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Your PH is HIGH!!!

Those chunks out of their fins are from the other girls chasing them or whatnot when you're not around.
My bettas don't behave the same when I'm right in front of the tank starring at them.

Petunia should be removed for observation. If any of them is sick it's probably her. I think she's just stressed from being nipped by the others.

How much food do you feed them @ 10AM. You listed a TON of different foods.

I would probably eliminate the flakes & the freeze dried BW from their diets.

Yeah I know the PH is high. The people I talked to said it is better to leave it that way then to use a bunch of PH lowering chemicals. I asked the Petstore before and they all said that the water in the pet store is the same as the water at my house seeing it is the same town and I don't live far from my little LPS. They also said that if I lower it, the water is more than likey so hard that it will just revert back again resulting in a big spike within several hours. So I don't know what to say....

I'm around them most of the time and watch from across the room which is small anyway. I never sit right in front of them unless it is feeding time when I check on their health ect. while they eat. At night the only lights on in the living room where they are , are the tank lights so they can't see me watching them from a little ways away. Honestly I never do see them fight at any time so....I don't know what to say here either.

If I remove Petunia, the only place I have to put her is in an unheated & unfiltered fish bowl. Wont that stress her out more? So,if she is sick, should I treat her? and with what?

At 10 AM, I feed them a pinch of flakes, or a pinch of pellets, or a bit of frozen fish food, or Freeze dried Tubaflex Worms (Not Bloodworms btw) Not all the kinds at once. Just one different kind of food per day. I know it says here that the flakes are not as good at pellets, but I have only 2 Bettas that will eat pellets (Ace my Male Betta and the baby Betta Starley) I tried several kind of pellets on the other Female Bettas with no luck. Any Brand suggestions to try?

Most Pellets get uneaten and sink to the Cory Cats who then get too much food seeing I feed them Bottom Feeder Pellets or waffers,sometimes Brine Shrimp as a treat. One Cory Cat is dead right now. He was laying on the bottom of the tank on his side barely breatheing then died a few minutes after RIP Tyler my favorite Cory Catfish