Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #1 
sandrac8388

Thermometers??

I just moved my betta into a 10 gal and got a water heater to hopefully fix his clamped tail. I have two thermometers and they both read differently so I'm not sure what I should do. If anyone can let me know i would really appreaciate it. Also, if you have any special brand thermometers you love please let me know as well thank you. (Mufasa just can't stay away from the camera...lol)

sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 
lelei

Wow, that is an interesting test, hmm..I use the one on the left, and you have an adjustable heater, looks like it's set to 78..I am not sure, the one on the right, I am not familiar with it, so I wonder why the readings are different..

did you change the temp, with the heater recently, maybe it hasnt warmed up on the side the other thermometer is on ??
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Those thermostats on the heaters aren't always correct. I trust thermometers over them. But then the thermometers are reading different things. Is one on the outside? Those are never reliable.

Try putting the bottom of the thermometers even with each other. Temperature gradients can and do form in tanks without a lot of water movement, like betta tanks. One of the good ways to eliminate this is to place the heater horizontally near the bottom.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #4 
Bounce

I have that same white plastic thermometer and found that mine always gave low readings. When I ordered it I put it in my betta's tank along with another thermometer to check for accuracy, it was constantly 2 to 3 degrees lower. Then I moved it to another tank to check it against that tank's thermometer and again it showed a temperature 2 to 3 degrees lower.

It's a shame because I really liked the way it looked - very clear and easy to read - and I liked the magnetic attachment, but alas it wasn't accurate.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 
sandrac8388

What is the best temperature for my 10 gal tank?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrac8388 View Post
What is the best temperature for my 10 gal tank?
That depends on what you have in the tank. Some tropical fish prefer temps down around 75F whereas other tropical fish like betta like temps around 78F.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #7 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
That depends on what you have in the tank. Some tropical fish prefer temps down around 75F whereas other tropical fish like betta like temps around 78F.
I have two bettas. Mufasa is my first one, and I got a heater for him because he had a clumped tail. So far he has been a lot more active still waiting for his tail to open up. His temp is currently at 78 degrees F.

My second betta Zorro, I just got him today. He seems fine. Swims and then hides, then comes out swims some more then hides..lol His temp is also at 78 degrees F.