Each fish is different. You would have to test him/her out to see if they mind it or not.
I would assume you have to slowly upgrade them little by little so their muscles have time to develop.
That's why I always recommend the filters with a water flow control option. The Tetra/Aqueon brand filters are horrible at it.
AquaClears seem like their the best so far @ restricting flow without noise, but they consume more energy.
- AquaClear 150 aka 30 = 4 watts
- Aqueon 10 QuietFlow = 1 watt
- BioWheel Emperor 400 = 4 watts
- If you compare those numbers, it's nothing compared to running a heater.
- That's why I plugged in 5 HOB filters when I was cycling.
- The 5 filters all used less energy than the 25W heater.
- I haven't tested the Whispers yet, but I'm sure they're in the 2-3 watt range.