Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #51 
labloverl

YAY! Post pics!
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #52 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRegalia View Post
....should I leave the filter on full blast? Or turn it down to low?
You can turn it down to low from here on out.

Quote:
Also, the outside of the air tube on the filter has been gathering some build-up .... What is this build-up and is it safe for Tom to be in contact with when I acclimate him?
Mine gets that, too (only on one filter). Last time I wiped it off with my fingers, it took a long time to come back. It's just mold. Looks bad but it's no big deal.

I leave my air-tubes in service. Bacteria like oxygen and I don't run an airstone.

Quote:
How often should I clean out the filter's internal foam? Does it need to be cleaned after the cycle is fully complete and before I acclimate Tom?
Never clean your filters, just rinse them in old tankwater or conditioned water. GFMan's schedule is about right; every month or two. His suggestion for putting foam under your intake is also well-advised. Use a foam block about as big as the one in your filter. You could get another block that size, slit it, and put it over your outlet. It would look and work better than what you have there in the picture. That much foam would house your bacteria even without the rest of the tank.

Quote:
....if it brings the ammonia and nitrite back down to 0 by tomorrow night, I'll do a large water change before acclimating Tom into his new home!
Yep. That's exactly how it's done. GFMan is right. Changing the water (50% weekly is typical) is the easiest way to control nitrate in the absence of plants. Doesn't take a whole lot of plants, but the right kind. Weekly changes also keep the DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds) down.

Congratulation, TR. Sounds like you're good to go. Now that you have live nitrifying bacteria, you'll never have to cycle another tank.

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-25-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #53 
TigerRegalia

Question What does this mean?

Ok, so I redosed the ammonia on Tuesday night and waited 12 hrs to see if the cycle would take it and the nitrIte back down to 0. After 12 hrs, the nitrIte level was elevated. So I waited another 12 hrs (making 24 hrs total), and it was still around 1 ppm for the nitrIte. I just retested the water prams now, and finally the ammonia and nitrIte are back to 0, with the nitrAte around 30-40 ppm.

Does this mean my cycle isn't done yet since it took it more than 24 hrs to get the ammonia and nitrIte back to 0? :(
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #54 
LionCalie

No, you should be good to go. Betta fish do not have a big ammonia output. Just do a big water change to get those nitrate levels to around 5 ppm - 10 ppm. Technically you are fully cycled when you have Ammonia and Nitrite at 0 and a decent level of Nitrates.

The purpose of continuing to add ammonia until it is consumed within 24 hrs is to make sure you have a good sized bio-load. This is more crucial in community tanks where more than one fish will be added at a time or with a species that produces lots of waste (like Goldfish).
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #55 
Hallyx
Reference Team

^+1

Exactly right.

(Love your avatar, LC)
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #56 
TigerRegalia

YAY! I acclimated Tom to his new abode yesterday :D He has been on patrol, swimming around and investigating every little object, nook, and cranny very closely :) I can just picture him wearing a little patrol hat and flashlight :D I am going to have a mini photo shoot today, so I'll upload those pics then!

Thanks for the immense help, everyone--this has been such a pain LOL 3 months in the making!

Btw, a 50% water change 1x/week should suffice, correct?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #57 
labloverl

Yay!!! It's a great feeling isn't it? I was so happy when my 5 gallon cycled and I was able to go get a new fish to add to the family. He's doing well, so I'll soon be adding a neighbor across the divider.

1 50% per week is fine.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #58 
TigerRegalia

Talking

Thanks for the tip, labloverl! Tommy is very happy :) Here are some pics I took today. The third one makes me laugh; Tommy was sitting there watching me and posing as I snapped a picture of his new home Aren't his eyes so expressive, though? PS He's a tail-biter, so that's the reason for his rear fin's slight scraggly-ness. He goes through phases of it being completely healed and then he'll bite it off. Maybe that will change now that he's in a 5-gallon tank, though!

The last pic is a picture of what I have sitting on the dresser in front of his tank--I cut it out from a Tom's potato chip bag (with an added fish-eye lens effect from my camera)
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #59 
TigerRegalia

For anyone who's interested... Tommy made a bubble nest just a couple of days after being in his new home And up until now I thought he just wasn't the bubblenest-making type! It makes my heart and soul smile to see him be happy and to watch him flourish!
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #60 
labloverl

Awwww! :) He looks just like my Sawyer. Sawyer never made a nest either until he was in a hospital tank with no current. His 10 gallon just moves too much.