Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #1 
zebra3

Plant for small tank

Hi, so here's the situation:
I've never planted anything underwater before but I want to do so.
I have a 1 gallon tank that will probably be upgraded to a 3 gallon sometime in the next 6 months.
I want to add a small plant (no taller than 6 inches) to my tank, and maybe some frogbit to the top.
I have no experience with planting so I don't know where to begin.
I need to be able to do my weekly 100% water changes without killing the plant, so some sort of way to easily remove it would be great.

What kind of plant would you recommend?
I thought of getting something like this:

zebra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Opps pictures arent showing...But I would go with either a Java Fern or Anacharis and you could float some Hornwort at top.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What kind of light do you have-watts, kelvin and age of bulb.....
Lighting or proper color temp bulb is the driving force with some species of plants......

Since you want a plant that stays small-Anubias, java fern, java moss will work well and they need to be attached to something and not planted in the substrate-plus they are not that picky about the light and your bulb might be fine and since they are slow growing and not big eaters-plus are tied off-it will make the 100% water changes easier with less damage to the plant, however, you may not need to make 100% WC....

IMO/E the 1gal is fine to keep a Long fin male long term-
Do you have a filter, type of additives used, any snails or shrimp...

Can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #4 
rich e rich

hello,

i would really like to know how you keep your betta healthy. Please share:

:what sort of ornaments you
- what u feed it
- other fish?
- how you control the temperature of the water
- tank maintenance- how often yiu change the water?

tank you
rich e rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #5 
zebra3

Hey, thanks a lot guys.

Rich: I keep the tank clean by doing weekly (give or take a day or two) water changes. I may switch to weekly 50% changes and bi-weekly 100% changes if I get a plant, depending on if that affects the ammonia levels, a fact which I don't know. The biggest aid/hinder in cleaning is that if my fish does not allow food to drop down to the rocks. If the rocks get dirty, I feel like I have to clean them.
I feed my fish a combination of New Life Spectrum Betta formula and flakes. Sometimes he spits out the new life but it is better for him.
I have no other fish. If I got a three gallon I would either get a dwarf frog and shrimp, or maybe a couple small fish.
No ornaments, I'd like a piece of small driftwood.
Lighting: I have natural light from a window on the tank from about 11am to 6 pm, depending on how hot the room temp is. I have a 7watt bulb as well that doesn't get used much this time of year.

Speaking of driftwood, can plants be attached to it? If so, can most plants work that way?
Also related, anyone want to sell me some frogbit? I like the look of it, though since apparently bettas can/will jump out of their tanks I have to have a lid on it.

No filter. Can post pics later.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #6 
zebra3

I'm thinking about getting a 3 gallon tank earlier than I expected. I want to know how to clean a planted tank, because right now, I'm just removing the fish, dumping the water, rinsing the rocks, and adding fresh water and finally the fish. But with plants, how do I clean the rocks and remove the old dirty water?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #7 
registereduser

Get a small piece of driftwood or rock and tie an anubias to it. The roots will eventually grip onto the wood/rock then you can easily remove wood/rock and plant when you clean.

Google anubias

I found this good example online, it's from a British site

http://www.java-plants.com/product_i...roducts_id=290
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #8 
rich e rich

ok zebra3,

I'll follow your way of tsking care of your betta. But if your betta were to get sick from poor water conditions, would you expect it to return to its original healthy state that you enjoyed it and bought it in after you've treated it (take care of water, put medication)? What is rock salt good for?
rich e rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #9 
toad

Hi! I have plants in my tanks, as well. Some floating, some planted, and some that are wedged in driftwood (fake driftwood, actually) or tied to rocks. I use a gravel siphon to vacuum the substrate and remove the water into a bucket (I use my kitchen trash can and bleach it when I'm done). I leave all the plants in the tank. Usually, I just push the floating plants to a corner so I don't damage them.

I have a few different plants, but my favorites are wisteria, which loves to float, hornwort, java fern, anubias and marimo balls.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #10 
JackisLost

i use fissidens and anubias micro, nana, petite

JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote