Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #1 
mkayum

White cloud minnow & Zebra Danio?

I'm thinking about purchasing a couple of ZDs to keep my lonely male white cloud minnow happy . I used to have three but the two of them died. The last one was lonely and decided to follow some of my otos.

But I'd love to see him being with other schooling fish like ZDs. I don't want go to Petsmart which they have WCMs and it's too far. I prefer to go to Petco nearby my area. But Petco didn't carry WCMs but do carry different strain of ZDS (longfin/white/normal)

Is it possible for my lonely male cloud white minnow to get along with other ZDS? He's about a year and half and gets along with my two male dwarf gourami pretty good and 7x Kuhili loaches & inverts. My tank is 20 gallon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!!!!
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

White cloud mountain minnows are schooling fish they can live in tropical but prefer cold water so you need at least five of the minnnows I would return some fish you do not have the room or get another tank. Plus gouramis do not like zebras they are fin nippers and too active Kuhli loaches grow around four inches.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #3 
DragonFyre14

I wouldn't recommend getting zebra danios. although, some people are able to keep ZD with Dwarf Gouramis. so it IS possible... however I would refrain from getting danios as they are also schooling fish and to keep them from chasing other fish you should get at least 5 of them. I would recommend waiting to get more White cloud minnows. He will be so much happier and healthier in a school. also as said they tend to prefer colder waters and from what i remember enjoy stronger currents to create a more river like environment (like what they live in in the wild.)
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
I wouldn't recommend getting zebra danios. although, some people are able to keep ZD with Dwarf Gouramis. so it IS possible... however I would refrain from getting danios as they are also schooling fish and to keep them from chasing other fish you should get at least 5 of them. I would recommend waiting to get more White cloud minnows. He will be so much happier and healthier in a school. also as said they tend to prefer colder waters and from what i remember enjoy stronger currents to create a more river like environment (like what they live in in the wild.)
Do not forget tank is already overstocked he needs another tank for the fish s/he needs more space.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #5 
DragonFyre14

Oh yeah. I had missed where he said the size of his tank and had for some reason thought it was a bigger tank. Personally, in order to fix both problems, i would suggest getting another tank of at least 10 gallons. (although if you have the room the bigger the tank the better) and just move some of the fish over. you could place the white cloud minnow into the new tank (after it has cycled of course), that way you can keep the temp cooler like they prefer and also you will have room to get a school of them. also if i'm not mistaken some of your inverts could go into the new tank too.
Or you could place the two Dwarf gourami's into the new tank (although i would only recommend this if you get a 15 or 20 gallon tank.)
Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Oh yeah. I had missed where he said the size of his tank and had for some reason thought it was a bigger tank. Personally, in order to fix both problems, i would suggest getting another tank of at least 10 gallons. (although if you have the room the bigger the tank the better) and just move some of the fish over. you could place the white cloud minnow into the new tank (after it has cycled of course), that way you can keep the temp cooler like they prefer and also you will have room to get a school of them. also if i'm not mistaken some of your inverts could go into the new tank too.
Or you could place the two Dwarf gourami's into the new tank (although i would only recommend this if you get a 15 or 20 gallon tank.)
Isn't 7 Kuhli loaches to many for a twenty gallon too each one could grow four inches.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #7 
DragonFyre14

definantly. Sorry it's been a long day. apparently i'm not reading very carefully. :P
Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
definantly. Sorry it's been a long day. apparently i'm not reading very carefully. :P
For all he wants and has how big of a tank do you recommend I say 50-100 gallon.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #9 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Isn't 7 Kuhli loaches to many for a twenty gallon too each one could grow four inches.
No.
If it is a 20 gallon long. They can easily house 7 Kuhlii loaches, the 2 dwarf gouramis and 8 cloud minnows and only be about 3/4 stocked and that is assuming all the fish are adults. With a 20 gallon high tank they would be almost 100% stocked.

To the OP...why not just get more cloud minnows?
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayum View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing a couple of ZDs to keep my lonely male white cloud minnow happy . I used to have three but the two of them died. The last one was lonely and decided to follow some of my otos.

But I'd love to see him being with other schooling fish like ZDs. I don't want go to Petsmart which they have WCMs and it's too far. I prefer to go to Petco nearby my area. But Petco didn't carry WCMs but do carry different strain of ZDS (longfin/white/normal)

Is it possible for my lonely male cloud white minnow to get along with other ZDS? He's about a year and half and gets along with my two male dwarf gourami pretty good and 7x Kuhili loaches & inverts. My tank is 20 gallon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!!!!
But, he would appreciate his own kind soo much more! They are extremely common, are you sure your nearby store can't order them from you?
If you must, you can try the danios, he may or may not school with them, out of desperation he probably will. Small fish like this feel safest in groups, and if he has no other choice he will join the danio group if they let him.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote