Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #1 
Jessie1990

Black moor update (Tui)

I named the little baby black moor, found in the bathroom toilet of my brothers middle school a few weeks ago, Tui. He had to go through a fish in cycle because I was not prepared to have a goldfish at the time. (My 20 gallon was going to be a tropical community) Well, after the cycle Tui had some splits in his fins. I waited a few days to see if they would begin to heal up with the water quality being perfect. They have actually gotten worse. I did some research on Koko's site and learned that skin flukes can cause rips and pin holes in fins and my little guy had never been treated for parasites because I was waiting for the tank to cycle first.

I decided now was a good time to treat him for flukes because according to a lot of knowledgeable people on Koko's almost all goldies have flukes unless they are from a reputable breeder, such as Raingarden. So, this morning I added salt to a .1% concentration (1 tsp per gallon) and when I got back from school I added the first dose of Prazipro, which will be left in the tank for 5 days until the next large WC.

Tui is not less active, but I have noticed he likes to suck air a lot. I thought he was begging for food at first. Then I wondered if his gills may have been damaged by the cycle. BUT since adding the Prazipro he has not been at the top of the tank as much. So now I am beginning to suspect skin AND gill flukes... ugh. But I think he will come out of treatment fine.

I will post the required information for diagnosing bettas and see if you guys have any feedback or experience with this :D
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #2 
Eggbert

In a toilet?! I cant believe it! Thank goodness for you! I wish you and tui luck. People can be so awful.
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A 20 gallon is a bit small can not believe a gold fish was in a toilet but you sound like a caring person hope he does well.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

He probably does have gill flukes. Most goldfish that come from pet stores do. That's why I put all of mine through a Prazi (powder) treatment before they got into the main tank. It treats external parasites such as gill flukes and skin flukes. Your prazi treatment should take care of the gill flukes, too.

The reduction in gasping does sound he had gill flukes. It's very common with pet store fish, and I'm surprised he doesn't have more disease with all the problems he's been through. Keep up the great work with him!! :D

The one thing I would suggest is upping the volume of water changes even after the Prazi treatment is done. 40% is good for a goldfish tank. On top of nitrate there are also growth hormones that can build up and stunt a fish.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 09-10-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: New post below
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #5 
Jessie1990

Housing
What size is your tank? 20 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 72F
Does your tank have a filter? AquaClear for 40 Gal Tank
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Not yet, it will be in winter
What tank mates does your fish live with? Goldfish lives alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your fish? Gel food
How often do you feed your fish? Small amounts, 2-3 times daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25% once a week, will be 50% while being treated with Prazipro, every 5 days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% normally, 50% now because of treatment
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5
pH:7.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your fish's appearance changed? Splits in fins. Fins becoming ragged
How has your fish's behavior changed? Tui has always breathed at the top alot, despite having a ton of aeration in the tank. Since adding Prazi, he does it less.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? During the fish-in cycle
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? .1% salt concentration and first dose of PraziPro
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Fairly new fish, but he was in a toilet bowl... Pretty sure that is not good
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's a baby. His body is about 1.5inches long.

Last edited by Jessie1990; 09-10-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #6 
Jessie1990

Ah man my video didn't work..
Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Hope you do a lot of water changes.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #8 
Jessie1990

-_- He is an inch long... His nitrates have never gone over 5-10 so far and I do water changes once a week. I did water changes every day during cycle. I know plenty of people on Koko's who keep a single fish in a 20 gallon and theirs are adults. Since I plan on getting a second goldfish in the future, he will be getting a 40-55 gallon tank eventually. As of right now, he is doing perfectly fine in the 20.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie1990 View Post
-_- He is an inch long... His nitrates have never gone over 5-10 so far and I do water changes once a week. I did water changes every day during cycle. I know plenty of people on Koko's who keep a single fish in a 20 gallon and theirs are adults. Since I plan on getting a second goldfish in the future, he will be getting a 40-55 gallon tank eventually. As of right now, he is doing perfectly fine in the 20.
Wow that sounds like great care.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #10 
Jessie1990

Bf will show me how to transfer a video later. :D Can't figure it out atm.