Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #1 
Jessie1990

Toilet Bowl Fish... (Long Story)

Okay so... My little brother is in middle school. Well, I got a phone call from him the other day because he wanted me to take in 3 goldfish that he had rescued. It turns out that two kids decided it would be funny to put a pearlscale, a redcap oranda, and a black moor in a toilet bowl in the girls restroom to freak girls out. My brothers friend happened to be the one who found them and put them in a pepsi bottle with the top cut off until they could be taken home. So after this phone call I drove down to get the fish and brought them home in individual zip lock bags (better than being stacked in a pepsi bottle).

I had a 20 gallon that was intended to be a tropical community tank. It was not cycled or anything... so I ordered some tetra safestart when I got home. So, after the first night the pearlscale died. I did not quarantine them because I don't have a quarantine tank large enough for three goldfish so I put them right into the tank.

Well, the black moor was chasing the oranda around constantly after the pearlscale died, and I ended up going out of town for 3 days... and I knew the oranda would be dead because she was looking pretty bad before I left. Also, the ammonia never went above .5 because I fed VERY sparingly. I think they were either sick before they went in the toilet or exposed to something bad in the toilet water. I put them in clean water before they went in the tank to clean them off a little with some AQ salt.
Anyway, I got back and she was also dead.

I have had the black moor for about 2 weeks since this incident and he has barely grown. I added the tetra safestart when I got home and it started the cycle but I think I'm stalled at the Nitrite stage. Nitrites went up to 1ppm so I did a water change even though you are not supposed to.... I am not going to damage the fish because I want the bacteria. So I have ordered more tetra safestart because I read that another dose usually does the trick if you are stalled at the Nitrite stage. I REALLY need this tank to cycle fast because I am having trouble keeping the nitrites down and I only feed the little guy 2 pellets a day atm. His fins are starting to split a little and get tiny pin holes.... I'm not sure if this is fin rot or what because I have only seen pictures and it doesn't look like that. I feel horrible for the little guy because I didn't have the tank ready... but really... he would have been a flushed fish if I didn't take him. (dad keeps calling him catfish bait -_-... I hope joking)

They have a bubbler/aerator, luckily I had a filter that filters double what the tank needed, I have some spectrum pellets, and plan on making a gel food as soon as I get paid.

Once the water params are under control and he starts growing (if he isn't already stunted) he will get a larger tank when I can afford it with a friend. I probably won't be doing a community tank anymore because I don't want to do that many water changes with no way to use a python in my apartment. (We have wierd sink heads)

Anyway, I have grown super attached to this little goldie and I really hope he takes off once my next batch of tetra safestart gets here... I feel really stupid for not having a cycled tank with a goldfish. If you have any ideas to help cycle the tank or keep him safe while it cycles it would be much appreciated. Also, he seems alot happier since I gave up on waiting for the safestart to work. So if this batch doesn't finish in a day- 3 days I will just be doing a TON of water changes a week... which will suck, but I love all my fish and they deserve the best I can give them.
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #2 
Jessie1990

He also gets shelled pea twice a week (small amounts because he is a baby). Also, these same kids were caught fighting bettas in the toilet at the school and are now expelled. I was super impressed that the administration was so strict, considering most people don't think the same about fish cruelty.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #3 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie1990 View Post
He also gets shelled pea twice a week (small amounts because he is a baby). Also, these same kids were caught fighting bettas in the toilet at the school and are now expelled. I was super impressed that the administration was so strict, considering most people don't think the same about fish cruelty.
Wow what kind of homes are those kids living in?!?

I don't know much about Goldie's but I will pm you a guide that someone sent to me.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #4 
MollyJean

I can't help at all, I've never kept a goldfish in my life.

I just wanted to say it's great that the kids where expelled. These days it seems like no one care about fish, it's good to hear someone realized they're living creatures and deserve respect.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 
Jessie1990

I was on Koko's for like 3 days straight so I think I'm giving him a decent home for now... it just needs to cycle >< Nitrites are so bad... My betta tanks are NPT's and don't have BB so I can't seed it that way. And the tetra people said DO NOT use prime until the cycle is established. I just don't want the nitrites to have a lasting impact on him :( So, if the safestart that arrives tomorrow does not work, I will do 2 25% WC a day.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
I was on Koko's for like 3 days straight so I think I'm giving him a decent home for now... it just needs to cycle >< Nitrites are so bad... My betta tanks are NPT's and don't have BB so I can't seed it that way. And the tetra people said DO NOT use prime until the cycle is established. I just don't want the nitrites to have a lasting impact on him :( So, if the safestart that arrives tomorrow does not work, I will do 2 25% WC a day.
Prime will make it SAFER to cycle! The tetra people don't know what they're talking about, they probably don't want you to buy prime tetra safe start only helps jump start the cycle, it won't cycle for you. There are conflicting opinions on its effectiveness.

Prime will detoxify ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
When doing a fish in cycle, don't let ammonia get over .25 ppm.

About how big is this fish? Is he in room temp water?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #7 
Jessie1990

His body is about 1 inch. I'm in class so I will post a pic of him later. He's at room temp. And when I read the interview with a tetra safestart guy he told the forum that if you use Prime it locks up the ammonia and nitrites and starves the next set of bacteria (Now it would be the nitrates that would starve). I wasn't sure about this but I used tetra's aquasafe and it actually jumpstarted the cycle. And when I used prime the last time I tried safestart on my betta tank it didn't work to start the cycle at all. SO, I thought this was true. I realize there are other reasons it could have not worked the last time.

I just didn't want the Tetra people to have a reason to blame me if it didn't work and I had to ask some questions.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Okay well I cycled my 10 gal tank with prime and tetra side start fish-in in 4 weeks time, my tap water has ammonia in it so the prime was needed, it prevented it from killing and/or posioning my fish.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #9 
Jessie1990

Okay I'm switching back then. Maybe it will help him feel a little better.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Great of you to rescue the goldfish! The other two probably died of chlorine poisoning, and all the other maltreatment goldfish are subject to. That being said, welcome to the goldfish club!

Quote:
. My betta tanks are NPT's and don't have BB so I can't seed it that way.
Not true. They will have some, but a small amount. Adding some substrate or decor from those tanks will help seed your goldfish tank.

As for the holes you are seeing, it is probably finrot. Goldfish are hardy enough to cycled a tank, but no fish comes through it unscathed. Even though the Tetra people advise not to use prime, use it. Even if it does prolong the cycle, your fish will be healthier for it.

While the mistreatment he undoubtedly suffered in the store and at the hands of middle school boys wasn't good, it probably won't have any lasting effects on him. This small not growing stage isn't going to stunt him. Two weeks without visible growth isn't unheard of. I bought a little goldfish from the store about 3 months ago. He must be bigger than then because my friends that see him comment on his growth, but I can't see it because I see him every day. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

As for the peas, don't feed them. They are a sugary vegetable. Goldfish need leafy greens like kale, spinach, and turnip greens. Gel food will be great when you make it. I started my newest goldfish on gel foods and have no issues with flipover at all. My other two who were fed commercial pellets for years now have permanent damage.

For the temperature room temp is fine right now, but when winter comes, you're going to need a heater. Due to the deformed body shape, the digestive tract of goldfish doesn't function well below 70F. If the tank will stay above that temp at all time, that's fine, but even my 55 gal goldfish tank drops to 68F without a heater.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote