Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #11 
TheCheese909

Alright, that's something we can check off the list.

Try looking for API Stress Coat+. It's one of the better water conditioners out there and is also a stress reliever and can make your fish feel better. WalMart doesn't sell it but you can get it at PetSmart, PetCo and you should be able to find it at your local fish store.

You said he hasn't eaten, you can try getting him some frozen brine shrimp or glassworms, maybe even frozen blood worms. Thaw it out and try feeding him some, it may coax him to eat some since it's more appealing then flakes or pellets.

Have you been able to see any of his poo at all? If so, and if it's stringy then he may have an internal parasite.

You should also look for (if you don't have them already) Aquarium Salt and Epsome Salt. Epsome salt you can get at Walgreens or any type of drug store. The Epsome Salt will need to be used if he has internal parasites or if he ever gets bloated. Aquarium salt is mainly used for external problems but it may help him out as many fish bounce back when being treated with it.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #12 
MorningGlory

Will do, thanks. Considering the possibility that he has been living in the same level of filth all summer as was seen when I first got him back, I'm not ruling out the possibility of a bacterial infection, so hooray for aquarium salt! Do I still have to do daily 100% water changes in a new tank environment, or would there be enough bacteria on his body (IF he has an infection) to make it necessary to be regularly replacing the water?

I have seen an internal parasite before, and he doesn't have one now. He hasn't poo'd at all since I've gotten him. Happily, he has eaten one of the two pellets I put in the net with him!

I just looked at the heater that came with the tank, and it is a Hydor 50 watt. Word on these betta fish forum streets is that the Hydor is extremely reliable, so it serves me right (and poor fishy wrong) for trusting the little thermometer instead of reading reviews on the heater. It is set at 79 degrees now, so hopefully it will have cooled down by the time I wake up tomorrow. He has enough energy to adjust his body so that while he is resting on the net, he isn't just flopped over on his side.

Okay, I should have gone to sleep hours ago... Thanks for all the help, Cheese! I'll post an update in the morning before I get the Stress Coat and salts (and a new thermometer, and plants...). The fact that he has eaten a pellet and has the desire and energy to rest in a more upright position gives me hope.

Last edited by MorningGlory; 09-08-2012 at 05:12 AM.
MorningGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #13 
TheCheese909

Your welcome :)

And that's GREAT that he's eaten something! It mean's he's not too far gone and is still hanging in there.

As for the daily water changes.. if you can manage to find him a 1 gallon hospital tank (they have 1 gallon diamond shaped tanks at Walmart with a hood & light for $10-what i use for my hospital tanks) you and are treating him with the 1tsp of aquarium salt, you should change his water daily. Do that treatment for 7-10 days, adding & dissolving the salt each time before putting him back in it.

Just do it at a time when you'll be around and be able to watch him for a little while, and make sure to add a little softy plant for him so he doesn't feel exposed.

If you have the funds to do so, you can pick up two of those tanks so that when you need to change the water you can completely set up the 2nd tank and net him in the 1st and just place him into the 2nd. That way you won't have to place him in a cup or something while waiting for his hospital to be cleaned out. Less stress on him.

If you keep him in the 10 gallon, and use that as his hospital, then i really don't know if you would still need to do 100% water changes daily or if it would be more of a 50% daily & then just add 5tsp along with 5 clean gallons of water.. The point of doing 100% is to not only rid the water of ammonia but to also take away any bad/dead bacteria that is coming off from the salt.

I hope that wasn't too confusing..
Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #14 
MorningGlory

Confusing? Not at all, truly. :) I already do have a 1 gallon bowl, so I can use both the 1 gallon and the 10 gallon as the two hospital tanks, changing water according to the respective rate of increase of the ammonia/bacteria concentration (way higher for 1 gallon, of course), and using the 10 gallon as a water bath for the 1 gallon so I don't have to worry about the difficulties of heating such a small tank with the heaters I have and the current lack of an independent thermometer. Does that sound like a good idea?

He is far more spunky this morning! He ate 3 more pellets last night and pooped, and clearly does not want to be in the net anymore. I don't want to put him back in a situation where he would have to struggle to reach the surface just yet, and I also don't want to mess with the water levels until he is in the 1 gallon with some salt since the temperature is finally at a good level. So, that is how he is currently doing.
MorningGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #15 
TheCheese909

Sounds like you have it figured out just right :)

I'm glad he's started eating again! Good luck, let me know how he's doing in a day or so, or if you have any other questions during that time!