Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #1 
queenelam

Question Trying to heal my bettas' fins...HELP

Tails and fins appear shredded on both of my bettas. Frustrated that local & chain pet stores have conflicting advice.They are kept in a divided 2.5 gal tank w/ filter, silk plants, aquarium gravel, lighted hood and a bubblestone. At first sign of fin problems, I did a complete water change, treated 5 gals. of water w/ AquaSafe Plus & 1/2 tsp Melafix while I cleaned the tank, rinsed the gravel, plants & bubblestone. Gave my fishies a five minute salt bath (added 1 tsp of plain (non-iodized) salt to 1 gallon of treated water) before putting them back in the tank. Seemed to help for a few days but all of sudden it got worse. So QuICK Cure was recommended 2 drops daily per 2.5 gals. with charcoal removed from filter for seven days then do a 50% water change. Well, it's almost 7 days they still look bad & I don't want to lose my babies. They are with me 35 days. PLEASE someone HELP Ted & Opal get well.
queenelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 
xShainax

Please please please get them each their own tanks. They are probably biting eachothers tail through the divider
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #3 
lelei

Hello, and Welcome, the first thing to try would be Aquarium Salt..not the bettafix..AQ salt works wonders on ripped, and torn fins, I rescued 3 fish with missing fins, and 7-10 days in treatment with AQ salt did the trick..and Stress Coat, as a Water conditioner.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #4 
lelei

Also you would need to do daily water changes, with clean warm water, and replace with 1 tsp of Aq salt every day..and readjust the fishy's to the water, if you have a Kritter keeper for the treatment it works well.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #5 
queenelam

They did live separately in 1/2 gal glass fish bowls w/ a little gravel & small silk plant. Changed the water twice wkly. Guilt sent me out to get the Aqueon 2.5 gal. divided tank setup w/filter because I thought changing the water so often would cause them stress. Sadly, they looked happier in the bowls (yes, I know some will say "But not for long!" I'm new & trying to figure out how to post pics from my phone to this thread. Also, feed them once a day alternating freeze dried bloodworms or betta flaked food.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #6 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenelam View Post
They did live separately in 1/2 gal glass fish bowls w/ a little gravel & small silk plant. Changed the water twice wkly. Guilt sent me out to get the Aqueon 2.5 gal. divided tank setup w/filter because I thought changing the water so often would cause them stress. Sadly, they looked happier in the bowls (yes, I know some will say "But not for long!" I'm new & trying to figure out how to post pics from my phone to this thread. Also, feed them once a day alternating freeze dried bloodworms or betta flaked food.

Actually pellets are better for bettas, and have much more protien, and nutrition..you may need to switch to pellets, they will have the energy they need fight off anything..if they get fin rot, or ich..Also Freeze dried BW's are really only used as a treat, once a week, or every other week, they can cause bloat if used too often..and using pellets you can feed 2 pellets 3x a day..which would be much better for thier diet needs. I use the Hakari Gold micro pellets, and all my fishy's love them
Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #7 
queenelam

thanks..xShainx..thanks lelei but what is a Kritter keeper? I will get AQ salt and do daily water changes but what to do about the filter? Remove the charcoal or keep it?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #8 
queenelam

Guess it would serve me well to get a reliable guide to help me raise happy & healthy bettas. I did go onto a few websites before buying them but there is so much more to learn. I am very happy to have found some people who really treat their bettas with TLC. Again, thank you!!!!