Is your tank heated? not at the moment
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 other males

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqua culture betta pellet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times/day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?50
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra aqua safe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? quiter and not excited
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? floating him in a cup to separate him
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year

Okay, so I've bumped Sawyer's daily number of pellets up from 4 to 5-6. This afternoon I turned the light on and fed everyone. He seemed fine and ate his 3 pellets. I went on and did some things with my 5 gallon and sat back down to watch the boys in the 10 gallon. Saw was swimming slowly and he seemed a bit bloated. He wouldn't come to the glass and even wanted to sit under/behind the filter intake tube. I cupped him because I didn't know what was wrong and didn't want to risk the other 2 catching it. He has still just swam around his cup slowly, without much interest in anything. I'm watching him now and he's trying to swim to the bottom of the cup trying to find a way out and then goes back to doing nothing. The other two boys are acting perfectly fine and begging for food.

Here's a video of him in his cup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9_swKJoNEQ
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #2 
MSG

Why did you increase the amount of pellets?

I would just reduce his pellets to 1 @ morning. 1 @ night until his behavior improves.

Unless he's EXTREMELY active and zooming all over the tank all day, he doesn't really need more than 2 pellets a day.

I usually feed the bettas depending on their activity level.

• As for your tank in cycle, just follow what you were doing before. My suggestions will speed things up but do what you're comfortable with.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #3 
TheCheese909

In the video he seemed like a normal Betta sitting in a cup :)

I would go a day or two without feeding him even if he seems interested. Then after about 2 days give him some frozen daphnia or brine shrimp, both are natural laxatives.

If he's still bloated around that time you can always give him an epsome salt bath, 1tsp per gallon. It's a bath so no longer then 30 minutes, but you can do it daily. It's also a laxative but it also is used for ridding internal parasites.

Sorry if i told you any information you already know, it's just easier to explain and have you know it then just throw information at you and have you be totally lost.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #4 
labloverl

Thank you MSG! BTW, I LOVE your new avatar!

TheCheese909, that's just thing. He's not a betta that just sits. He doesn't zoom everywhere, but he's always doing something. Normally when he's in a cup, his energy comes up and he swims all around. Yesterday he didn't do that. He just wanted to be alone. And you didn't tell me anything I already knew. :) So thank you too!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #5 
labloverl

He is still a bit bloated, but not as bad. He's also swimming to the front of the cup when I come near. He did poop, but it looks like pellets that dropped from the surface uneaten. I didn't feed him last night, so I know it is poop. I don't know how poop is supposed to look though. Is it safe to turn him lose?

Last edited by labloverl; 09-08-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #6 
TheCheese909

Yea, poop usually is round and kinda looks like a pellet.

It doesn't sound like he has a parasite, you can probably let him go in his tank if you want. Just don't feed him for acouple of days. And if you still want to you can still take him out during this time and put him in an Epsome Salt bath for 20 minutes or so and when that's done you can put him back in his tank.

It won't hurt him at all to go multiple days in a row without eating since these guys can go a week without any problems and a month(!) without eating and survive.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #7 
labloverl

he's in a divided tank, so that's why I was wondering about releasing him.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #8 
TheCheese909

Oh right.. Do you happen to have a temporary quarantine tank for him? Something small for right now, 1 gallon to 3 gallons so you can keep a close eye on him until his bloating goes away to make sure it's not something we should be worried about.

Oh and if you happen to want to try an epsome salt bath and don't have any make sure you buy unscented, undyed epsome salt. You can find the stuff at just about evey local drug store.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #9 
labloverl

I really don't.... I need to get one. How long can he stay in that cup with daily water changes?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #10 
TheCheese909

Since you're not feeding him he should be okay in the cup for a few days, with the daily water changes.

WalMart sells diamond shaped 1 gallon tanks for $10. They have a hood & light with them as well. I use them for my QT tanks and they work very well. So you know :)