Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #1 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Guppies

Just bought a guppy/endure live bearer hybrid added it to my 20 gallon tank for some reason non of the fish eat fry they fry are usually half black the hybrid Is a cobra.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #2 
DragonFyre14

Okay, so your guppies have already have babies? if the babies haven't been just born the adults are much more likely to not eat them. (they really enjoy eating them when they are in their newborn 'jumping' phase.) Otherwise I have heard that if you keep them well fed they will be less likely to eat the babies.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
Okay, so your guppies have already have babies? if the babies haven't been just born the adults are much more likely to not eat them. (they really enjoy eating them when they are in their newborn 'jumping' phase.) Otherwise I have heard that if you keep them well fed they will be less likely to eat the babies.
Non of my fish even the guppies try and eat them it is planted even when a guppy is next to a fry they do not even try to eat them I mean emperor tetra Female Betta weird righ. And most are bite size I wonder if being half black helps.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 09-08-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #4 
DragonFyre14

That is slightly odd. usually fish find guppy fry to be a sort of delicacy. Are you becoming over run with guppies? is that why you want them to be eaten or are you just curious? if its a problem of being over run with fry you can always get certain fish who will eat any and all guppy fry they find. (although if you only have a 20 gallon with a betta and other guppies it may be harder to find one that is compatible for your tank.)
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
That is slightly odd. usually fish find guppy fry to be a sort of delicacy. Are you becoming over run with guppies? is that why you want them to be eaten or are you just curious? if its a problem of being over run with fry you can always get certain fish who will eat any and all guppy fry they find. (although if you only have a 20 gallon with a betta and other guppies it may be harder to find one that is compatible for your tank.)
I net some in a floating breeding trap and send them to my local petco they adopt out fish.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #6 
DragonFyre14

Okay cool. I have been considering doing that as I have two pregnant guppies right now. but I don't think my local Petco or Petsmart will accept any. Most people say they won't take any fry from people anymore. I guess it never hurts to ask though :)
Old 09-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Okay cool. I have been considering doing that as I have two pregnant guppies right now. but I don't think my local Petco or Petsmart will accept any. Most people say they won't take any fry from people anymore. I guess it never hurts to ask though :)
Yeah also craigslist and websites like that also people prefer guppies grown locally they are higher quality because they are already adapted to the water quality have had better cared and not shipped thousands of miles.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #8 
DragonFyre14

yeah. I figured if I get over run with guppies I'll just see if my friends would like some :) would really prefer to stay away from giving them to strangers.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Tank size affects everything.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #10 
DragonFyre14

yeah. I have them in a 29 gallon right now so i figure they have a bit of space to grow and breed. :)