Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #1 
tunkisCR

Tiny female betta getting mating stripes

Hi so I got two female bettas about a week and a half ago and one is 1 inch and a half and the smaller one is 1 inch. The big one has not gotten rid of her stress stripes and I have her in a 5 gal with heater and plants and all and I had the smaller one there too but the big one chased her all the time and bit her so I took little girl out. The small one was moved to a tank near my big boy and got the vertical stripes which mean she is ready to mate... what do I do to get rid of the striped of BOTH of them?
tunkisCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

The stripes your seeing that look like stress stripes just means she's developing her color. All young bettas have them at some point.

The girl with the vertical stripes- is she in the tank with a male or is her tank beside a male's tank? If she's in the tank, remove her immediately because males and females cannot coexist in one tank. If her tank is next to his, put a piece of cardboard or something between the tanks so they can't see each other.

AND.. For future reference.. Females MUST live in groups of 4 + in tanks 10 gallons of larger. So never put only two or three together. If not in a large enough group they will kill each other. Some females are individually too aggressive to live with others though.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #3 
tunkisCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
The stripes your seeing that look like stress stripes just means she's developing her color. All young bettas have them at some point.

The girl with the vertical stripes- is she in the tank with a male or is her tank beside a male's tank? If she's in the tank, remove her immediately because males and females cannot coexist in one tank. If her tank is next to his, put a piece of cardboard or something between the tanks so they can't see each other.

AND.. For future reference.. Females MUST live in groups of 4 + in tanks 10 gallons of larger. So never put only two or three together. If not in a large enough group they will kill each other. Some females are individually too aggressive to live with others though.
The little girl is in a separate tank, thanks I'll put something between them. As for the group where I live female bettas are really difficult to find I was lucky to get those 2, can they live in separate 3g tanks?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, they can live separately. :) Follow Teeney's advice, I'm pretty sure she had a sorority once as well.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunkisCR View Post
The little girl is in a separate tank, thanks I'll put something between them. As for the group where I live female bettas are really difficult to find I was lucky to get those 2, can they live in separate 3g tanks?
Yes they can live in seperate 3 gallon tanks, just make sure you clean each tank twice weekly- do 1 50% water change and 1 100% water change each week on each tank :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

awww
this post made me think of Shiro....RIP little one..

picture of her showing stripes at .75in....

ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #7 
tunkisCR

thanks for all of your help! And my piccola is just like your shiro :) im sorry she passed away