Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #11 
Luimeril

8I i've always heard otos need LOTS of algae. honestly, i'd stick with a snail. you just acclimate and leave it alone. it does the job really well. i've also heard otos need sand, rather than gravel, so...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #12 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
8I i've always heard otos need LOTS of algae. honestly, i'd stick with a snail. you just acclimate and leave it alone. it does the job really well. i've also heard otos need sand, rather than gravel, so...
I believe three ottos can strip feed a 20g in a course of a month or so. Depends OFC on the conditions. If you find a way to cultivate algae and keep them supplied they will be more than happy.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #13 
DeviCy

Can't I just buy algae I have a friend who has one and she has this special stuff she just pours in that feeds them for a while because it settles in the gravel.
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #14 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviCy View Post
Can't I just buy algae I have a friend who has one and she has this special stuff she just pours in that feeds them for a while because it settles in the gravel.
You mean algae waffers? If algae is not present you can substitute with algae waffers but they are not 100% complete for the needs of otos. You may keep them for some years on them but eventually they will die for no apparent reason (the reason been malnutrition though). If you keep them on waffers, you need to add cucumber, zucchini and spinach on a regular basis for them. That alongside the waffers will keep them healthy and strong. If they dont respond to the veggies at first dont worry and dont get discurraged. Some otos need to 'acquire' a taste of it at first.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, companions