Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #1 
jCo72

shredded fins... again :( pls help

Hi everyone,

I've posted about my fish's shredded fins many times and they still aren't getting better. I'm getting so frustrated and upset because nothing I do seems to help. I first had him in a 5 gallon tank and I thought the intake filter was shredding his fins. I baffled the filter (the return filter was already baffled) and this didn't seem to help too much. I moved and he did as well - to a 10 gallon tank. His fins seem even more shredded now and the intake and return filters are heavily baffled. He does like to hang out near the filter though so if anyone has any suggestions on how to keep him away that would be appreciated..??

I also bought him a 1 gallon hospital tank at my LPS but I wasn't able to find a heater that is small enough there. Does anyone have any suggestions? The last thing I want to do is put him in highly fluctuating/cold water.

**Also - he began changing colors about a month ago. I'm not sure what its from (it was before our move). Sakura said he seemed okay since he is acting normally. You can see his color change here in case you're interested.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=110341

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? these little critters that stay on the plants... someone else had posted about them and another person said they were fine

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta Formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2/day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ~50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat+ & very small amount of carbon source (if any) for the live plants

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: just over 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness: 120
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his fins are completely shredded looking
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? his behavior hasn't changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? they have always been torn but maybe 3 days ago they got really bad
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nothing yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? history of damaged fins & color change - idk what its from since hes acting healthy
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him around 6 months ago

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  tank.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  51.2 KB
(yes, I know his tank is a little dirty... I clean it on Saturday nights - ie tonight)
jCo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #2 
LizzyP

Hmmm...they look like they're bit to me. He might be stressed with the open space, that's the way my VT is. I have a heavily planted (silk plants) and a pot like yours (from Petco clearance rack :P) and he seems to do okay. If not, it might be because his tail is too heavy. He has a big, gorgeous tail but sometimes it's too heavy for them. So they chew it to make it lighter.

Unfortunately if it is biting, he'll most likely always be like that. I don't recommend treatment, but just watch for infection. When Dumbledore ripped his caudal fin in half all the way up to his body I gave him a salt bath for about 2 days until putting him back in his 5 gal.

I hope this gives you some peace of mind. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #3 
jCo72

Yea, his tail is really long. I was worried because I've never seen a betta (on this forum) with such torn up fins and I thought I have been doing something wrong. I've been trying to get more plants for him so it doesn't seem so open but now I'm running out of room on the left to put them. That does make me feel better though. I really hope that is it and its not some unknown disease (partially because of the color change as well). thank you
Old 09-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 
LizzyP

Even if you get some silk, or floating plants. Somewhere he can go and hide, or take a nap, or just chill when he's stressed. Maybe another hiding spot? Also, how often do you just hang out by your tank and "play" with your fish? I noticed my guy does better if I spend maybe 1-5 minutes at his tank each day having him follow my finger, or flaring at me or even just me talking to him. I do it while I'm brushing my teeth, or waiting for my toast in the morning. Just stop by and say hey periodically and see if that helps any :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #5 
Luimeril

someone's a tail biter. :B it happens for many reasons, but i'd gather he's bored. try adding some new decor. either some silk plants, a new ornament, or both. i'd say rearrange things, but i don't know how well live plants take to uprooting them and moving them. ._.

for treatment.... ya ain't gotta do nothin'. just keep his water clean. :B that's all i do for my tail biters.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #6 
xShainax

Is he a marble?
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #7 
jCo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
Even if you get some silk, or floating plants. Somewhere he can go and hide, or take a nap, or just chill when he's stressed. Maybe another hiding spot? Also, how often do you just hang out by your tank and "play" with your fish? I noticed my guy does better if I spend maybe 1-5 minutes at his tank each day having him follow my finger, or flaring at me or even just me talking to him. I do it while I'm brushing my teeth, or waiting for my toast in the morning. Just stop by and say hey periodically and see if that helps any :)
I actually just took out some decorations because I thought his tail might be getting caught on that but I guess I was wrong, haha. I'll add that back in tomorrow. I do have silk plants so I'll put some in and see how he likes that. Currently he likes sitting around the filter because its a good hiding spot and he can rest against the baffle. I'm around his tank a lot throughout the day though. Added up, its probably 30+ minutes a day (depending on the day... lately its been a lot more). Thanks though :) Maybe I'll try getting him to flare at me a little more.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #8 
jCo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
someone's a tail biter. :B it happens for many reasons, but i'd gather he's bored. try adding some new decor. either some silk plants, a new ornament, or both. i'd say rearrange things, but i don't know how well live plants take to uprooting them and moving them. ._.

for treatment.... ya ain't gotta do nothin'. just keep his water clean. :B that's all i do for my tail biters.
its kind of funny... he just went into a completely rearranged tank about 3-4 weeks ago. How often should I be rearranging things? I did just do a small rearrangement 3 days ago when I noticed his fins getting really bad too. What a crazy little fish. I guess I'll have to watch my LPS for sales so I can grab a few different ones to change out for him. Thank you :)
Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #9 
jCo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Is he a marble?
I assume so but I'm not sure. I bought him at petco but he was changing color ever so slightly for a few months before his white-body color change not too long ago. I was told turning white is usually a bad sign but hes acting normally so I have no idea...

PS sorry I didn't put those in one post... I'm had a very long day and I'm super tired so this was just easier for me to do
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #10 
Luimeril

he is a marble. :3 a very lovely one at that!

for my major tail biters, i rearrange at EVERY water change. but, then, my bettas are in 2 gallon tanks(my HMs are, anyways), so i do water changes every week.

what you COULD do, is get the silk plants and decor, like suggested, and once a week, move them around. even if you don't do full water changes, or even 50%, taking him out and moving things around a bit might keep him entertained enough to stop the biting.

or, you could have a chronic biter, like i have. my DTHM NEVER stops. 8I he's like... this tiny thing with almost no tail on one tail, half a tail on the other. no amount of rearranging stops him. 8I i just let him be. he's happy with his shredded tails, so am i.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote