Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #11 
lelei
Member
 
lelei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Haverhill, MA
I have noticed that with constant conversation, and spending time watching your betta, and letting him get to know you, they adapt to hearing your voice, and seeing your face, example, I spend a lot of time with my fish..and talk to them a lot, I am not associating food with the attention that they get, and when my daughter tries to talk to them they tend to swim away..because they are not used to her voice I tell her to interact with them more, talk to them, and they will get used to hearing your voice more, and will want to see you, they think she is just a stranger and I feel IMO that the more time you spend with your fish, I just think there is more to it, than just food instinct.. I think they sense human interaction and it makes them happier, and I beleive could make them live longer..IMO
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #12 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I disagree, my praying mantis certainly had emotion and showed affection by actually grooming me. They don't even do that to each other but she would sit and groom my fingers until she was satisfied and she also got excited to see me after school every day and would climb to the top of her cage so I would take her out. I certainly felt she had affection for me and enjoyed my company. Basically Scyther was a dog. My mice and rats have also shown affection and emotion. They get depressed when I am gone for a while. It went so far as my rats and mice didn't eat when I was in New York for a week. When I got home my rats actually jumped from their cage and snuggled against my neck. I think if they can feel emotions so can fish and insects. All animals feel fear this is proven. It's a survival mechanism. If you were not afraid then you would be dead and eaten so ALL things feel fear which is an emotion, fish, insects, mammals birds. We also know they feel aggression and anger, we see betta's display this. These are emotions in their own right so who is to say they can not trust and love as well? All things domesticated by man learn to live with us and even to a point understand us.
emotion or instinct? Does a day old baby feel love or does in instinctively know its mother, her smell and know where to suck? any pediatricians out there?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #13 
harleraven
Member
 
harleraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I disagree, my praying mantis certainly had emotion and showed affection by actually grooming me.
I think you missed my point. My point is that as far as I can tell they do not have emotions, but science had the same "as far as they could tell" idea for dogs and cats. Now we know they can experience some level of emotion. My point is that we cannot say for certain that anything feels no level of emotion at all.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #14 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
I agree with that lelei, this isn't a fish but my mouse Ophelia had horrible allergies and burned lungs from when she was in the feeder tank from hell. The ammonia from the uncleaned cage damaged them so bad even on medication the vets said she would only live a year. Ophelia was a very sick girl and every six months or so we had a scare that she was going to pass away. Every time she got sick I thought "Today is the day she won't recover." I held her with tear stained face and told her I loved her. She and I had a very strong bond and we were very close. She even gave me kisses. It seemed just as I thought it was goodbye she would recover and be back to her old self. This happened for three years. She lived for three long years with her bad health not only because I provided her medication and care but because we were so close and we loved each other so much. Ophelia was my guardian and I was hers. She ended up getting cancer and the vets said she had about a week left but even with her cancer Ophelia pushed on for a full month. She didn't pass away until the week after I told her it was okay for her to go now. Her tumor was getting big and I didn't want her to suffer. I made plans to have her put down and the night before our appointment she passed in her sleep. I agree that strong bonds with animals tend to make them live longer and in fact make them happy. Just like it's proven people with pets live longer, we honestly are keeping each other alive in a way.

Edit:
Also I think Regi that you are separating emotions and instinct when they actually work together. People forget love is nothing more than a chemical reaction, a means to reproduce. Fear is a means of survival, to avoid and run or fight those we fear because without fear we would have died, been eaten, wiped out. Anger and rage are means of defending our territory, what we think is ours, etc. joy is endorphin released from our brains. Emotion is not something from a heart or a brain it's mostly chemical. We tend to Romanticize emotion I think.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 09-08-2012 at 08:38 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #15 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleraven View Post
we cannot say for certain that anything feels no level of emotion at all.
really? I've seen a few human scum in my life who didn't seem to register much.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
I feel they bond with you because do not bite the hand that feeds you they also seem to reflect you as a member of the group.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #17 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictorian View Post
just like it's proven people with pets live longer, we honestly are keeping each other alive in a way.
like
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
really? I've seen a few human scum in my life who didn't seem to register much.
Technical terms Sociopath, Psychopath, mentally challenged, big business, government, and bowl keepers/people who say they are just _____.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #19 
harleraven
Member
 
harleraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
really? I've seen a few human scum in my life who didn't seem to register much.
Haha! I agree. However, of course I am speaking on the species-wide level. Certain individuals may have more or less capacity for emotion than others due to environmental, neonatal, or genetic differences.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
And forgot Zero tolerance supporters/PETA supporters.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can bettas show affection? neonlights Betta Chat 5 01-26-2012 10:16 AM
can i trust auto-feeders? CrowntailTwitchy57 Betta Fish Care 8 07-13-2011 10:27 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.