Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #11 
jennesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I appreciate Jennesque's advice. There's something to be said for getting along, even if you have to fake it.

But as Shakespeare said, ..."To thine own self be true."

It's really nobody's business what you believe, only how you behave. Learn to change the subject or insist on others' respecting your privacy. Get mysterious, they love that. Don't discuss it at all, with anyone.

Read Richard Dawkins' The God Illusion. or anything by him. Find an athiest discussion forum that you like, people with your point of view, for encouragement and solace.

Hang in until you're eighteen. Then show them your back.
I totally agree that you should be true to yourself, but not everyone wants to stick out like a sore thumb, and that's something that may happen to an atheist at a Christian school. Personally, I'm a very introverted person. I like to keep to myself for the most part, and I don't like people gossiping about me. I don't care what they think, but I also did not want the entirety of my 7th and later 8th grade class, teachers, pastors, classmates parents, etc talking about how I lived my life. I don't like to call attention to myself. I'm not sure if the OP is like that at all, but that is why I chose what I felt was the most subtle route I had to show I wasn't a true believer, because the people at my school were always in everyone else's business. It's only because they care about what they believe to be the welfare of your soul.. they're not doing it to be cruel.

It might be hard to lie to yourself, but sometimes being honest about something, at least in this case, can be more difficult. Being young, it might be best to just go with the flow as best you can tolerate it, unless you're an adult and free to live your life as you please. Throughout middle school and high school I always told myself that nothing really mattered except my grades and what I learned. The only people I still see from that time period are the only ones that matter.
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #12 
harleraven

My parents do not know, and I am well past 18. Sometimes it is just easier to keep the peace. Since I live in a different state, a little white lie does not really harm me much at all.

It is really going to have to be a personal decision. Can you hold out until you move out of the house? If not, there is your answer right there.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #13 
Pogthefish

I think people al my school would be very accepting except a couple of teachers, but my close circle of friends is what I'm worried about. I know they would accept and probably understand, but I don't know if they would think of me the same, and I'm most worried about little talks from their parents >_< I want to be brave and open, though. Anyone know how I should go about telling people? Who should I tell first?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #14 
harleraven

I would suggest starting with the people you think would be most accepting and trustworthy enough not to tell anyone else. That way you can do a sort of practice run before moving on the tougher nuts to crack.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #15 
jennesque

Your friends, starting with the closest one first or maybe the one you think may agree with you the most. Your friend will obviously know your other friends better than any of us probably ever will so he/she can hopefully provide the best advice on how to proceed.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #16 
Pogthefish

True, or maybe I could tell a few of my gossiping machine friends and just let it get around?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #17 
jennesque

You could. It depends on how much drama you can handle. Coming out of the atheist closet can be very dramatic to some lol
Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #18 
Pogthefish

I think I can handle it.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #19 
jennesque

Good. If at the end of the day, you don't care about the potential of losing your friends, or at least having a change in the relationship you have with your friends, go for it. And I am by no means trying to discourage you.

At the end of the day, the only one who's always 100% going to be there for you is yourself. Just worry about keeping you happy, without trouncing on the hopes and dreams of others of course. :) if someone cannot accept you for who you are, they're not worth your time.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #20 
Pogthefish

Thats what I was thinking :) thanks guys!