Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #1 
MeaghanElizabeth

Question I might be paranoid but...

I just got a brand new betta named bebe yesterday evening. She was very active and exploring her tank.

A week ago i had bought a betta named Marsden. Marsden died within 2 days. Upon putting him into the tank at first, he was very engergetic and loved exploring his tank & ate 2 pellets. By the following day, he would not swim into the deeper depths of the tank, remaining at the top all day. He also had no interest in food. Day 2, he had not moved, only lifting his head every 10 minutes to get a breath of air. We bought a thermometer & heater, to discover the tanks temperature was at 76 F , right about where it should be. He also acquired white stuff on his body/fins and everytime he did attempt swimming lower, he just floated right back up. He passed away later that evening, sinking to the bottom :(

I sanitized the tank/rock ornament/rocks/thermometer/heater/plant with 1/9ths vinegar, 8/9ths hot hot water. I rinsed it out and did it again and let it soak for about 30 mins, rinsing it out and letting it air dry. Upon getting Bebe i rinsed everything off again with just hot water.

Bebe now is remaining at the top of the tank, however will swim around, but will remain strictly at the surface. She is not on her side and still eats the pellets and shows interest when im here. She just wont swim down and will remain in the same place unless im infront of her tank!

No white stuff has accumulated on her.

Im not sure if im being paranoid but im just scared its happening to Bebe too! Im new to fish and Marsden was my first, i want to do it right with Bebe and do all that i can to make sure shes healthy and happy!

Any ideas? Am i just being paranoid???!
MeaghanElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #2 
MeaghanElizabeth

Housing
What size is your tank? Not sure, its a fairly nice sized glass fish bowl!
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not currently as temp is perfect, will insert in a month as the temp in the area cools down
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 1 pellet at a time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Recieved Bebe yesterday evening, no water change yet. It looks slightly cloudy/murky though now, it did with Marsden too within 24 hours of it being in the tank?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I will do %100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafins Betta plus conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her eyes are white around the rims? Im not sure if thats just her colouring or if its something else.. i dont know her appearence off by heart yet :(
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Will only swim at the top, and if i am not actively infront of the tank, she will remain in the same place, with her head tipped towards the surface, her fins downward
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, i was considering trying buying some aquirium salt and trying that? Not sure..
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I have had Bebe for 24 hours
How old is your fish (approximately)?: No idea, shes on the smaller side though. I will try and post pictures!
Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #3 
Basement Bettas

Vinegar will not steralize... even with hot water. Need a hospital strength lysol or a super bleach concentration and then allowing to soak 2 hours or more.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #4 
MSG

You should try to get some clear focused pictures, because they're definitely sick. Exactly what they're ailing from I couldn't really tell from your description without some sort of visual.

• Is it a fish bowl or a giant wine glass?
  • A photo of the entire tank would be helpful too.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #5 
MeaghanElizabeth

It is a giant fish bowl. I will try and get photos ASAP. Shoot i thought i sterilized the tank properly... oh no :( !!!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #6 
MeaghanElizabeth

I just need to find my camera charger and i will upload a video and pics. Bebe still has quite the appetite, however is sitting in one place more often. Gets quite perky when someone is infront of the tank, however only swims at the surface. Ive noticed that she will occasionally dart around the tank, even going lower into its depths, and than swims back to the top to rest again.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 
MeaghanElizabeth

I will also mention, not sure if this means anything or not, but shes never 'showing off' her fins. They stay clamped up, and never spreads them out like she did at the store before we got her.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #8 
MeaghanElizabeth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuA9j...ature=youtu.be

UPDATE : We have added Aquarium salt to the fish bowl, & moved her out of my bedroom and into the living room. We got a water sample done from petland who said the water was a-ok! After speaking with petland, they think it could possibly be hairspray particles going into the tank, as i do my hair and such near her tank. This made sense to me so were gonna see how she does in the living room etc, and if she gets better we will move her back into my bedroom and i will do my hair etc in the bathroom :)

ALSO she seems to be doing just a tiny bit better since adding the salt. However will still rest at the top, but will swim down a bit more.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #9 
MSG

One thing I can see from the video is NONE of my fish swim like the betta in your video.

It's definitely possible that you poisoned your betta with hairspray & other styling products you're using.
  • Once enough of the stuff gets into the water it will damaged the organs, most likely the liver.
  • It could also do neurological damage as well.
  • I'm sure you used perfume as well, correct?
I hope someone else chimes in & says I'm completely wrong about this.

Maybe his weird swimming will improve if he's kept in the living room, with a little salt & water changes for a week.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #10 
MeaghanElizabeth

oh gosh i hope not!!

We did a 100% water change and put in the salt, than took the video about an hour following.

She seems a bit perkier than before, so i have my fingers crossed. No perfume, just hairspray and keratin mist by Chi would be particles in the air. It would explain the water getting murky so quickly!