Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleraven View Post
Ugh, 'kids being kids' is not an excuse. Those are kids that have no discipline! If I had done something like that as a kid, I would have gotten a wallop! I'm not saying you have to spank kids, but sheesh, they do have to be taught acceptable behavior.
+1 All I can say is, Amen harle...kids these days don't seem to have much discipline.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #12 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah some moms and dad seem clueless as how to raise their kids, they need to learn from the start that animals are not toys and of course if they are never around any I guess it would be hard to teach them that. Thats why I raised mine around animals and taught them animals need proper care. My daughter got my Betta for me and one of the first things she said was Mom dont overfeed him...so proud of her !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #13 
MollyJean

There is hope!

I have several nieces and nephews and they've been coming over to use the pool all summer. (It's funny, my brother and sister wouldn't even think about coming over if we didn't have the pool.. I'm almost glad it's drained now.)

Anyway.. I've got a lot of fish tanks in the house, and started breeding this summer. My 10 year old daughter, Gwen, always takes the time to walk around the house with the little kids (3 boys, 5, 4, and 3) when they want to see the fish. She tells them how to feel them, tells them not to tap on the glass, shows them how to make them flair with a mirror and starts reciting all of the little things she's learned about fish from me. It's so cute. All my nieces and nephews are very respectful to my fish.... the rest of the house is doomed, though.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #14 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Whenever there is little kids around my fish I always tell them not to tap the glass, or open the lid without my permission. lol I always let them feed Velvet one pellet, so I just make sure at their next meal he has one less pellet. A neighbour's grandson came over to my house and I let him hold the hamster, give it a treat. But he wanted my fish. Like, he asked me if he could take the tank home. LOL He hen asked if he could pick up Velvet. I said, "Definately not!". I let him feed Velvet, and he was happy. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would blame the parents they should have kept an eye on them.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #16 
Kitty Whiskers

My Niece was 3 years old at the time when she dumped a whole sample size box of laundry soap in the fish tank! My sister and I tried to scoop out the fish fast and put them in clean water but they died a few minutes later anyway.

My sister and my Niece just checked the mail minutes before, when they got the sample box for trial of a new Tide detergent. My Niece thought it was a box of fish food. Ugh!
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sorry for the fish not her fault she is 3 but never tell her when she is older she may feel guilty.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #18 
nel3

very few young kids have ever come near my tank but its still bothers me that a nightmare is still possible. the only time my cousin's daughters came over were very well behaved. they did want to feed the fish which i did allow but they were respectful and didnt tap at all. its still a bit scary not knowing if certain kids will just be kids around fish.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have never had a kid near my fish they are all in my room well there is one kid me.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #20 
sainthogan

Even though Fishy is technically my 6 year old son's fish, he's not allowed to feed her yet. I did let him drop in a bloodworm once, but he got scared because she jumped for it. I am trying to make sure that I teach him how to care for them properly.

On the other hand, my uncle has a huge fish tank (no bettas) and is very particular how his tank is cared for and how his fish are fed, but his 9 year grandson "accidentally" dropped in the back part of a metal decorative pin into the tank (the little part that goes behind your shirt, not the pointy part). Unfortunately, some of his fish who were very old and already not in the greatest of health due to their age, didn't fair too well with the metal contaminating their water, and one of them didn't survive.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote