Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #51 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
*Clears throat*

Alright class, welcome to Home Ec 101. It is time to learn the differences between Sushi, Shashimi, and Nigiri.

Sushi means rice and seaweed. If you have a dish where the main ingredients are rice and seaweed, then you are eating sushi. I've had egg sushi while in Japan and a lot of places that sell sushi in the US have vegetarian rolls. Also, unless the menu says otherwise, any fish in sushi is steamed cook and not raw.

Shashimi means raw fish. That's when you will get slices of raw fish either on a bed of flavored rice or placed on a decorative plate in a pretty way. In this case the fish is actually raw so i would only get sashimi from a place I really, really trusted.

Nigiri is fish on rice. The slice of fish will be placed on a finger-sized arc of rice and is eaten with your fingers. Techniquely, this is the only one of the three rolls that is eaten with hands. Also, unless the menu says other wise, the fish will be raw and not steamed.

*Class bell rings*

Don't forget your homework on the differences between mixing and folding.
Don't forget to add that most "shashimi" is crab meat instead of fish.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #52 
rubinthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
To me people who say they are just fish are less human. I love fish so much I refuse to eat sea food.
You too? I would never ever ever ever eat seafood because of the fact that I've owned three Betta fish and three hermit crabs. (at different times, of course) I personally have never had a younger kid bother my fish, but once when I was super little my family had a Betta fish but my brother fed it chocolate cake. What can I say, we were both little.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #53 
DiiQue

I'm just glad my 4 year old understands that "his" fish (I used him as my excuse to get into bettas, LOL) is delicate and that only daddy can feed him. We had a couple of 2-5yr olds at the house the other weekend and they all rushed to the tank, but my son wedged himself between the tank and the onslaught of kids and told all of them very sternly that they cannot touch the tank in any way, otherwise the boogeyman comes out and takes them away forever... all the adults cracked up. It worked though, as all the kids stopped in their tracks and were safely viewing Doctor Z from a distance (4 feet away).
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #54 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
*Clears throat*

Alright class, welcome to Home Ec 101. It is time to learn the differences between Sushi, Shashimi, and Nigiri.

Sushi means rice and seaweed. If you have a dish where the main ingredients are rice and seaweed, then you are eating sushi. I've had egg sushi while in Japan and a lot of places that sell sushi in the US have vegetarian rolls. Also, unless the menu says otherwise, any fish in sushi is steamed cook and not raw.

Shashimi means raw fish. That's when you will get slices of raw fish either on a bed of flavored rice or placed on a decorative plate in a pretty way. In this case the fish is actually raw so i would only get sashimi from a place I really, really trusted.

Nigiri is fish on rice. The slice of fish will be placed on a finger-sized arc of rice and is eaten with your fingers. Techniquely, this is the only one of the three rolls that is eaten with hands. Also, unless the menu says other wise, the fish will be raw and not steamed.

*Class bell rings*

Don't forget your homework on the differences between mixing and folding.
Was that an insult? Sorry never eat seafood so not an expert on it. I love bettas though.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #55 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
I'm just glad my 4 year old understands that "his" fish (I used him as my excuse to get into bettas, LOL) is delicate and that only daddy can feed him. We had a couple of 2-5yr olds at the house the other weekend and they all rushed to the tank, but my son wedged himself between the tank and the onslaught of kids and told all of them very sternly that they cannot touch the tank in any way, otherwise the boogeyman comes out and takes them away forever... all the adults cracked up. It worked though, as all the kids stopped in their tracks and were safely viewing Doctor Z from a distance (4 feet away).
You sound like a great parent.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #56 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
Not all kids are bad :)
What especially annoys me is when people say that the prides and joys of my life are "just fish".
that annoys me a bit when my parents say that but they understand what the bettas are to me. it angers me when uneducated ppl say it especially ppl i dont know or particularly like. some ppl i cant rip into them ie coworkers but its still annoys me alot.

i dont shy away from seafood but i dont appreciate jokes about eating fish commonly kept as pets. i do feed my gecko crickets though its just another part of his natural diet, even if they have larger variety in the wild.

Last edited by nel3; 10-25-2012 at 10:52 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #57 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Was that an insult? Sorry never eat seafood so not an expert on it. I love bettas though.
Nope, I just have a weird sense of humor.

I've also noticed that people who love seafood and eat it all the time get get sushi and sashimi mixed up and think nigiri is sushi. It was a clearification for anyone who gets those three mixed up. I was just trying to be light hearted about it.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #58 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Don't forget to add that most "shashimi" is crab meat instead of fish.
If you ate at a reaturant somewhere and was served raw crab meat as shashimi, that is incorrect. I have only seen crab meat, which is usually the heavily processed crab meat and not freshly cooked crab meat, used in sushi and none of the other dishes. I have seen crab meat on the side of a shashimi plate to add a bit of flare and to act as a side dish, but that's like getting cole slaw with your burger.

Shashimi is Japanese for "raw fish" and is literally slices of raw fish. While sushi is very Americanized and nigiri can be fish or seafood based (I've personally only had nigiri with either fish or shrimp), shashimi is the most rigid dish of the three. I don't mind doing more research since I'm not a professional chief who specializes in Japanese Cuisine, but I feel comfortable saying that Shashimi is only raw fish.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #59 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Nope, I just have a weird sense of humor.

I've also noticed that people who love seafood and eat it all the time get get sushi and sashimi mixed up and think nigiri is sushi. It was a clearification for anyone who gets those three mixed up. I was just trying to be light hearted about it.
Okay thanks.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #60 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
that annoys me a bit when my parents say that but they understand what the bettas are to me. it angers me when uneducated ppl say it especially ppl i dont know or particularly like. some ppl i cant rip into them ie coworkers but its still annoys me alot.

i dont shy away from seafood but i dont appreciate jokes about eating fish commonly kept as pets. i do feed my gecko crickets though its just another part of his natural diet, even if they have larger variety in the wild.
Yeah all people should say uneducated until proved right so.