Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #1 
DeviCy

Good Algae Eaters or solutions to algea

I have a 10 gallon planted tank, and I'm starting to see algae in my tank. I was hoping to not have to change my lighting and to just get an algae eater or two to keep the tank tidy. I use liquid fertilizer no substrate an underwater filter "Elite Stingray 10" and a 30 watt light used from about noon to nine it has some natural light in the morning but no direct light except for 30 minutes every afternoon.
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #2 
Pilot00

Otto catfish and snails (I cant help with what type of snail though I just dont know). I can give you a full-blown thesis for otto cats. You need 3 minimum though and thats borderline for space in a ten g. What else is in there?
Be aware that the ottos will eventually outstrip the algae and will need a balanced diet to compensate.

Shrimp might be another solution but i dont have experience either.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #3 
tsukiowns

All of those are good and true about Otto.... I you get Otto they are mostly wild caught and take longer to adapt to captivity... As for snail one of the best are nerite snails how ever snail do have a bigger bi load so water change either have to increase in percentage or in times per week.... And as for snail most ppl use ghost shrimp because they are easy to come by and cheap but betta my kill them so have lots of plants for then to hide and if your Betta is good and does nothing to your shrimp you can upgrade to the best shrimp wich are the cherry shrimp that are more costly but way better looking and more effective hope this helpe
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #4 
DeviCy

I would prefer a catfish but i don't want to overcrowd him hes used to having the whole tank to himself now. Hes the only one in the 10 gallon. and hes a very good hunter so i hesitate to have shrimp and I don't want snails.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #5 
tsukiowns

Yeah if he is a good hunter I don't recommend shrimp even with the Otto I can be risky unless you have lots of hiding area.... The good thing is that the Otto is a bottom feeder so it will stay near the bottom but it will climb on the glass an some times on the surface since it it a sucker fish you can try and condition your Betta by taking him out and introducing the otto and the a week or so later re-introducing the Betta... Then the Otto would not be intrudin into your Berta's territory since the Betta has been taken out of it
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #6 
Pilot00

Dont get a single oto though. Those fish are fragile and need to shoal so they will feel safer. The starting number should be 3.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #7 
kfryman

Ghost shrimp don't eat algae. They may eat algae tablets if they are starving, but they should have a diet of more meaty foods.

I would get nerites as otos can be a pain to get a hold of and even more of a pain to keep them alive at first. Nerites are hardy and can't breed in freshwater, they only lay little eggs that never hatch.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #8 
DeviCy

Ok I may try those then will 3 be ok in with a betta?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #9 
Silverfang

go for a nerite, smaller, eat algae, and kinda cute. And not fragile.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #10 
prodrumernate

i have otos and mystery snails in my 10 gallon along with my female betta.no problems at all.the algae is being taken care of :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, companions