Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #1 
Luimeril

How easy is Water Lettuce?

8I

someone on an auction site i'm part of is selling some real cheap(the site uses Credits, rather than money, so....), and i'd LOVE to get some....

but i know NOTHING about it. :I and the plant guide on here doesn't have it, so.....

how easy is it to care for? they claim it's super easy. can grow it in a fish bowl, they say. but... i want opinions.

was thinking about getting it for my 10 gallon(which i still haven't cleaned, nor set up..... but plan on it!)... i'm sure the female i plan on getting, and maybe some neon tetras.... and i'm sure they'd LOVE some live plants. :U
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It grows huge dwarf grows smaller though.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #3 
Luimeril

this is exactly what the auction says.
Quote:
It is almost fall and my plants have made babies. If anyone is interested I can send a baby to you. They are not hardy in Michigan so maybe someone can use them, they will just die here over the winter. They grow very fast and make babies similar to hens and chicks. I like to grow them in bowls and pots around the garden and in vases inside the house. Very pretty in a tall clear vase with colored rocks or crystals in the bottom. They are also useful in aquariums for fish to eat but be aware they will eat all of the plant!
Old 09-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

you will want the smalled variety.... water lettuce gets quite big. well. if you have a big tank... I guess you wouldnt mind.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I found my water lettuce (I had the standard size) would eventually rot and die off. I believe it was either due to a lack of nitrates or not a bright enough light, although it did get 8 hours of solid T5HO lighting.

I am not sure how the dwarf variety goes in an aquarium as it is not available over here from my knowledge.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I found my water lettuce (I had the standard size) would eventually rot and die off. I believe it was either due to a lack of nitrates or not a bright enough light, although it did get 8 hours of solid T5HO lighting.

I am not sure how the dwarf variety goes in an aquarium as it is not available over here from my knowledge.
probably nutritional problems since they do get to 12in +
:P

the smaller ones grow to about 2inches I believe
Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #7 
kfryman

I use to have the dwarf variety, but it is really fussy. I had so much of it and it melted away. I would say you need good light with it, whether direct sunlight or T5s. I had dwarf btw.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #8 
MSG

• I came across 50 cupcake sized specimens of w lettuce in the park & brought them home.

Town considers them aquatic invaders, so they don't care.

• Every single one of them withered away in about a month due to lack of EVERYTHING.
  • I think they require quite a bit of light & FILTH to grow.
  • I gave the W Lettuce none of that.

The coralife fixture I was using eventually overheated bad to a horrible design so it only lights the tank for about 15-30 minutes before it overheats and shuts off.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I use to have the dwarf variety, but it is really fussy. I had so much of it and it melted away. I would say you need good light with it, whether direct sunlight or T5s. I had dwarf btw.
I want some! Imm guessing that the duckweed hasnt arrived yet? sigh Usps.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #10 
Luimeril

well, it was suggested by Mr. V that i use a fertilizer, so i figured i'd give that a shot. :B no harm in getting it and trying. ain't gonna cost me nothing. the 10 is beside the window, so i could just scoot it in front of the window and just fight the algae. 8U maybe get a snail to help. :I would a snail, a school of neons, and a betta be too much? 8I