Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #1 
Xaalona

Alduin Jump..Not acting the same

Alduin jumped out of his transfer cup while i was waiting for it to aclimate to my bigger tank. He fell probably 4+ feet. I feel absolutely awful. I was in my room when it happened. My mom found him on the floor, still alive, but barely. she told me he was dry, but still flopping a little. She put him back in the water, and we gave him some Melafix incase he got any injuries. He seems really lethargic, and his has all his fins pulled together. I know its only been a few hours, but im wondering if he will be ok. He doesn't appear to be injured. he just isn't acting the same. D; PLEASE HELP!

First picture is how he was before, and the second is after.
Attached Images

Xaalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would not worry i saw an amano shrimp drop 5 and try to run away just a little shocked probably.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #3 
Sapphoira

Just make sure he has clean, warm water. I wouldn't recommend giving him Melafix "just in case," as medicating usually should go along with a diagnosis of an actual condition and be accompanied by the proper medication.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 
Silverfang

clean warm water, leave the lights off for a day, and let him rest. (I know the urge to peek is hard).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #5 
Xaalona

As of today, he is SUPER gray, and his face looks swollen. He also just stays at the top of the water, and doesn't move. He is breathing really hard. He has this stringy white stuff on his fins. I have been changing his water. I'm not sure what to do.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #6 
Sapphoira

Can you submit a picture of the stringy white stuff? Could be the shock of his fall resulted in him contracting an external parasite, but it could also be issues with slime coat. Maybe add some Stress Coat to his water - and if he's swollen try an epsom salt bath.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #7 
Xaalona

Ok, so here are some pics. Its kinda hard to see in the lighting (trying to keep it dark, like suggested above). Notice on the end of the ventrals. First picture shows the white on the ends of this back fin, and the second really shows it on his vents. Thats where you can see it the best, but it is on all of his fins. As for the salt bath, could I buy that at Petsmart?
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 
Sapphoira

Drugstores, grocery stores, etc. It's in the health section, near the stuff for like wounds. It's used for humans as a soak to relieve swelling after like a sprained ankle and such. That really does look like a fungus of some sort, you might want to check with someone who knows the fishy fungi treatments pretty well :) Look at the stickied thread on treating bettas, they have a specific post on fungus.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #9 
Xaalona

Thank you very much. You have been such a help. I really don't wanna lose my little buddy. :(
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #10 
MoonShadow

Falling down and being out of water for an extended period are 2 things that will be extremely stressful to any betta. I believe the white stuff is his slime coat, some times they shed it when they're stressed, or his slime coat may have been damaged in the fall! I would highly recommend uping the temp in his tank to between 84-86 if you haven't already, and treating him with Stresscoat and epsom salt! Keep him in the dark so he can chill out, and keep his water crystal! You should hopefully see an improvement!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote