Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #11 
SpookyTooth

Hehe! I'm not sure how he'd feel about cookies but I could have jumped up and down squealing (that isn't something I do, but I do yell across stores about cute frogs)! Lovely idea, mind you. I'll also be sure to tell you what happens with the baby sticks once they hatch -- both lichen wise and in general.

The plants I'm going to use are from both fish tanks and are as follows:

Anubias nana
Cryptocoryne nevelli
Cryptocoryne willisi
Egeria densa
Fontinalis antipyretica
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila rosanervis
Lemna minor
Ludwigia repens
Marimo moss ball
Microsorum pteropus
Phyllanthus fluitans
Rotala rotundifolia
Süsswassertang
Vallisneris torta
Vesicularia dubyana

I have a feeling I've missed something but I don't remember. To be honest I just copied and pasted this list from my grow list on another site but I know all the above plants are still with me and doing well. I may get some more anubias (I have three at the moment) and java ferns but I'll have to wait and see. I'm also hoping to get a lily or amazon sword of some description but haven't decided yet.

The sawed off pieces of wood will be reintroduced into the tank somewhere and the substrate I'm using is called JBL Manado, it's basically some kind of clay and apparently absorbs and stores nutrients... I think it's pretty; the problem is it's very light and is also near-impossible to create slopes with unless you use LOADS of the stuff so I've had an idea that will make it much easier.

Kaze's tank is home to many Malaysian trumpet snails, it has sand as a substrate... I can't describe how frustrating it is trying to sift through it to get all the snails out (I can't stand the thought of even one being left behind) so I've decided to layer the sand on the bottom of the aquarium near the back and form it into a hill, I'll then layer the Manado over the top -- this will help plants root while giving me that lovely sloping effect that the Manado refuses to create on its own; I also get to keep all my lovely snailies. Yay!

The day I set up the 54 litre is the day I also have to drain the other two. Kaze will spend that time in a heated quarantine tank on my desk so he doesn't get cold or stressed but what I have to figure out is how to do all of this in one day. I'll likely grab all the anubias, java ferns and moss first, get those attached to the big bit of driftwood then work on tearing out plants, bagging them up with water then draining the tanks. I'll have to then get substrate out, bagged up, then move the tanks. I can't sort the driftwood out before this because I simply don't have anywhere to keep it where it'll stay moist.

Whew, it'll be a busy day. I'm hoping to come up with something that'll let me rest for a while between jobs but right now I honestly don't know.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #12 
Chesh

With fish I've noticed that it always seems to be a process of wait. . .wait. . .wait. . .HURRY!!!
It sounds like you've got a great plan all set - hopefully everything cooperates and goes smoothly on the big day. I can't WAIT, it's going to be a fantastic tank! I love your plant list, I'm trying to imagine it now, it'll be a beautiful layout. AND. . . as long as Kaze is a nice fishy. . .you know. . . it'd ALSO be a PERFECT setup for an ADF or two!

. . .just sayin' . . .
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #13 
SpookyTooth

I had thought of that... I just don't know if Kaze is the right fish for them! He hasn't ever attacked decent-sized livestock (I don't think nipping through live plants for microfauna counts... does it?) that I've seen, he flares at snails but only if they suddenly appear above his nose and take him by surprise, then it's just plain funny as he does the charging around the tank with his beard out business before wiggling at the front again.

There's a chance he may have eaten a red cherry shrimp once... I had some a few months ago and everything went wrong so in a ditch bid I put the sole surviving shrimp in with Kaze and never saw it again -- though I don't know if that's a good indication as to his personality as the shrimp was rather small. I suppppooossseee I could keep a tank spare just in case it doesn't work out.

-Cough cough-

I'll be doing everything on Saturday. My parents are out all day so we'll get heavy lifting done Friday evening and that'll just leave me to dig right in on Saturday and sleep the rest of the day! I don't know if I'll have enough plants but I'm going to be leaving the tank for a few days before adding Kaze just to check for animals that shouldn't be there (damselfly nymphs for instance, I know there are currently two in Echo's old tank) and to make sure parameters are stable so I can most certainly order more greenery if need be, then I'll just leave the tank for another week with regular water changes to remove any potential nasties.

I've been brainstorming this evening to come up with a plan of action to ensure Kaze is comfortable in his quarantine tank, all should go well... as long as I take it slowly. Oh gosh so excited!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #14 
Chesh

Heehee. . . well. . . as long as you have something ready should it become a problem, I say you should go for it!!! Really, with the plants and the SPACE that you have in that tank, unless Kaze is a beast, it'd probably be fine - it's a nice big tank for frogs and betta - and you KNOW that I don't usually recommend the two to be kept together, or frogs kept in community in the first place - but with you, and the care you take of your animals, I think it'd be wonderful. And I'm thinking that if the frog(s) were there first, or everyone moved at the same time. . . Kaze would be more likely to take to the change than if you added something to his existing territory. . .

Well, something to think about, anyway! If you aren't ready to do the frog thing yet, that's totally understandable, too. Part of that whole wait. . .wait. . .wait thing ;)

Can't wait for the water test!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #15 
SpookyTooth

I do certaintly see your point. I'll get the tank all set up and ensure the parameters are stable for a few days (I have established filter media I can add) then get the frogs (if they're still in stock) and give them a week or so on their own so they can explore all the tank, get used to my feeding schedule and give me a chance to monitor them then add Kaze. I think that would work well.

I have a turkey baster so I can spot-feed and also have gel foods, I'll have to look into different foods as I'm not sure if I would be allowed frozen. Must do some more research.

I'll be able to divide my established filter media in two parts so I can set up an emergency frog tank should anything go wrong.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #16 
katydidmischief

This is a brilliant thread--thanks for letting us follow along with you!
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #17 
Chesh

YAY! Very exciting!!! I can't wait to see everything all set up. . . and your plan is perfect! So tomorrow is the filter test, right? My days are all confused, lol!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #18 
SpookyTooth

Thanks for the comments you two Yup, filter test is tomorrow -- very excited. I spent some time today cleaning up the piece of driftwood and getting any bits of string, old moss and such off it. I'm a bit worried that the silicone in the tank won't hold as I've had bad luck before but I can only hope.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #19 
Chesh

O.o It'll hold!!! *uses mind powers*

Have you soaked/boiled the wood? CAN you even boil it - it's huge! I have a canning pot that my mom gave me that I boil wood in - it's GOT to hold over 5 gallons, it's enormous!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #20 
SpookyTooth

I haven't soaked the entire piece of wood nor boiled it a we do not have anything large enough to. I've got one end sat in a bucket at the moment (the end with a few old cobwebs) but that's the best I can do, I'm not going to worry about tannins but I've sprayed the entire thing down in extremely hot water a few times and will have another go over this evening to remove dust and other nasties.