Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #21 
SpookyTooth

13th September 2012
FILTER TEST DAY! Lots of photos!

This is the aquarium before I started filling...

And this is the filter itself, I was rather nervous about the whole thing as other projects I've done using silicone have had a habit of falling apart.

I gradually started filling the tank up, I decided against filling it right to the top as I wouldn't be able to drain it on my own and I need to clean it out again today so I did about a third of the way in the end.

I stuck the air pump on as soon as I could remember. I'd already attached the pump to the airline and forgot that water could run backwards and into the device so I had to be quick, I then decided to go and rush to the aid of a particular moggy that was outside and wanted to come in.

-Sulk-

Oh dear...

As you can see above, air only came out of one end of the T. I couldn't fit my hand down the back of the filter so I picked up the aquarium siphon hose and started fiddling, eventually I got a good stream of air coming out of both ends -- that was a relief!

I added some filter media to see if my theory about the smaller corridor being more effective and was utterly relieved to see I was right! Do you see the media dancing around? That's the critical point of this filter, if it doesn't do that then it won't be very effective.

(Note: I used my spare air pump to get this filter going as the more powerful one is currently powering my two other filters so the bubble stream will likely be stronger once the tank is set up.) I don't know if the video recorded sound, if it did and you hear cracking in the background that's one of my cats nomming.

I ran my fingers around the silicone seal that was exposed to water and had no problems so I'm sure it'll hold firm once the tank is finished. I started siphoning water out...

Now empty, I marvelled in the joy of doing the sealing correctly!

No water leaked out

So that's my very disjointed and long update. I can finally start getting the tank bits and pieces together. I've decided against using the sand from Kaze's old tank, I'll just have to siphon through it for snails (I have too many snails to be honest, looking to rehome some) -- this means that the tank will be 10x easier to set up.

I may even start work tomorrow as all I'd need help with is cleaning out the bag of substrate and bringing the heavy stuff upstairs -- the rest I can do on my own.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #22 
Chesh

HUZZAH!!! This is fantastic news! I'm so happy that everything has worked out perfectly, and that even the kitty was okay in the end. You did a brilliant job! *HUGS* I can't imagine how over-the-moon you must be feeling right now. So . . you're WAAAAAY in my future, if I recall your time zone correctly, and it's already tomorrow there! You'll hopefully be setting things up for real in just a few more hours *SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE* I can't WAIT!!! Thanks for all of this useful information. I might just have to try this someday - you made it look so EASY. Can't wait to see it in action with a tank full of critters. This is going to be one fantastic tank. . .
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #23 
SpookyTooth

Thank you Chesh Your encourgement has really helped me out -- my joints have been a bit up and down with my illness and I was a fair bit stressed out yesterday... decided to get the substrate "cleaned" so it's really nice to come online to happies. I also saw in your "Becoming" topic that you weren't very well either so I hope you get well soon!!

Now, Manado (my substrate) is like a very large grain sand; it's made up of a type of clay and apparently sucks nutrients out of the water and stores it to feed directly to plant roots; needless to say I've had some amazing growth with it and I had no crypt melt at all when I set up Echo's tank! The problem is... it's WAY dustier than sand.

Imagine pumping nearly 100 litres of water through about 7 litres of substrate and not getting anywhere! I even stuck two of my old canister filters in there and kept them running so as to remove some of the dust mechanically but it just wasn't having it. After freaking out as I thought the tank had sprung a leak we filled it completely and waited, I mixed the substrate around to release dust and then drained the tank little by little using a half-functioning aquarium siphon once an hour had passed and no water was lost via leaks (yay!).

I have no idea how much dust is left but if I don't disturb the substrate too much and plant carefully then it shouldn't create too much of a cloud. I'm considering getting an aquarium coagulant that draws all the dust into balls so that I can siphon them out but I'll have to see how bad things are once I've finished setting up, Kaze won't be going in for a few days (so I can make sure everything is planted correctly and the tank is cycled, using established filter media) so I'll be able to fix it all without worrying about his health.

Speaking of which... I think he's getting old. Kaze is still as hyper as ever when he sees me but his vision seems to be deteriorating. I've never had so many problems with him finding food before, he's also scraped his head. He always had a habit of scratching himself up on fake ornaments which is why I opted for driftwood as it softens once in water but this bump on his noggin and his tendancy to sleep more and not see as well is worrying me. He eats like a pig (when he finally realizes that the food is right above his face) and when awake still moves around gracefully.

I gave him some bloodworms yesterday, the freeze-dried variety. He'd been moved across my room and had a large water change so I wanted to give him something to keep him occupied; he struggled to see the bloodworms... one was curled around in a "C" shape. Despite my concerns about Kaze's vision I couldn't help laughing when he swam up under it, got it stuck on his head like a tiara and swam around with it there for a few seconds.

When I bought Echo he was apparently a year old -- he was tiny, I had him for 4 months and he grew a lot. When I bought Kaze I don't know how old he was but he hasn't grown body-length wise and was very large, I've had him for over 9 months. I'm quite certain that he's at least 2 years old.

With his vision... I'm worried that he won't do very well in a new tank. I'll just have to monitor him closely I guess.

Plans for today: get background on aquarium (external dark fake rock), move Echo's old tank, get new tank upstairs and in position
Plans for tomorrow: everything else
Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #24 
SpookyTooth

Started putting the tank together this morning (it's now 3pm) but ran into an issue: the driftwood started floating. It uprooted all the stem plants I'd put in so now I'm just waiting for it to sink. Got most of the plants in there but still have so much to do to finish it... I hope the wood sinks completely over night, the tank is almost full of water and I really wanna get it done by Monday.

After realizing that I'd have a long wait on my hands I decided to make some banana bread... needless to say I'm very satisfied right now despite the setback.

Om nom nom.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #25 
Chesh

I'm glad that you get such benefit from my comments, but I only tell the truth! I think this project is really brilliant - and both simpler, and more complex than it initially seems (like that even makes sense) HUZZAH for leak-free! I knew you could rock it!!! You're so good at this kind of thing!

I hope you feel better, please be sure to take things easy! You've put in a LOT of effort and energy into this project you'll need to rest and recover a bit after all is said and done, please be careful not to hurt yourself! I get worried for you! I'll be okay, thanks for the well-wishes. Just a terrible cold plus seasonal allergies combined with grumpy and whiny also-sick children, lol. Not a FUN week, but hopefully we'll all be back to perfect health soon!

I've never heard of Manado, I'm going to have to look into that one, it sounds like a neat substrate, even if it doesn't like to cooperate and form slopes! Crypts are such funny plants, I'm really glad that yours has decided to play nice and keep it's pretty foliage intact. I wonder how much the substrate helped with that. . . when I did my 55g tank, *some* of the crypts melted, while others did perfectly fine - I swear, I will NEVER understand those plants! Sometimes I swear they melt if you look at them wrong. Glad yours is doing so well! Hopefully the dust settles all of the way soon, and planting goes well!!! I'm VERY excited to see this tank in it's dress clothes!

Really upsetting news to hear about little Kaze! You must be very distressed by the change in his condition, poor guy! I often target feed my daughter's betta fish when I'm feeding brine or other types of messy defrosted bits. I've just found it to be easier for some reason. Shimmer knows when she sees that oral syringe coming that it's full of yummy goodness. I'm thinking that even a fish that was totally blind might be okay for some time, as long as you got him used to being hand-fed. . . if anyone can do it it'll be you. I know that we can't always know how old they were when we got them, or what conditions they were kept in before that point, but I hope he has a few years of life left in him! I really do. . . the plus side to this is that he might not even notice his froggy room-mates

So I'm ready for the next update!!!

Rock back-round *CHECK*
Tanks situated where they belong *CHECK*
EVERYTHING ELSE??!!! *CHECK*

Can't wait to hear the news of the day!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #26 
Chesh

Haha, I was replying when you posted this! STUPID DRIFTWOOD! It's ruining all your plans for tank domination *sulks* Wonder how long it'll take that big of a piece to decide to settle *sigh* You could always put a rock on it for a bit until it sinks on it's own - that way you can at least get started with the planting!

Ooooh, Banana bread is awesome! Tell me you have walnuts in it. Mmmmmm. . . Gah, I'm super jealous now! NO fair nomming without sharing!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #27 
SpookyTooth

Thank you Chesh Unfortunately no walnuts in the banana bread, I've never baked it before so I wanted to get the basic recipe down first... though that's a bit contradictory as we had no granulated brown sugar but rather sugar cubes -- I ended up adapting the recipe so I could dissolve the cubes and my word this stuff is soft and moist because of it! I hope my parents like it, I want to make a habit out of baking for them.

Now, I have Kaze's old bit of driftwood and a plate sitting on top of this piece of wood right now and that isn't enough to keep it completely sunk (while small, Kaze's old driftwood is HEAVY)! It's better than it was so I imagine it'll be fine by tonight or tomorrow at the very latest. I'll also want to pick up some more crypts and stem plants, while most of mine are doing okay The tank is just a little -too- bare for me to be comfortable with, I know these things need to grow out but I don't feel as though it'll fill in any time soon.

I'm a bit frazzled due to being on my feet (or knees) most of the day but resting for a bit now is good.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #28 
Chesh

Yes... it is probably a good thing that the log won't soak! You're working too much, and a break with some SUPER SOFT banana bread sounds like just the thing to get you feeling better before the big set up. Setting up a tank - all filter building aside - is surprisingly strenuous and stressful, I'm always surprised by how long it takes, even in a 5 gallon! Enjoy your day 'off' I hope you're feeling recovered and ready to go whenever that wood is :)
Old 09-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #29 
SpookyTooth

Thank you. I've gotten a large amount of the plants I have in there, just need to wait now. I'm also considering more pieces of driftwood, I have a chunk in there that I bought with plants already attached; I may see about getting one or two smaller pieces and coming up with something "out of the ordinary" using them.

Hum. Currently watching Kaze sleep... again.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #30 
Chesh

Poor Kaze, I hope he's okay. I guess. . . an almost blind fish would think it is always night-time. . . :(