Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #41 
Chesh

Good luck with your snail sifting! Sounds like a good time will be had by all, lol!

I'm SURE Kaze is very happy in his new tank, and with all of the effort you go to for him! How's he holding up with the changes? Still happy in his new home? Hope that wood settles in quickly - your mom is so sweet! I know that *I* would let my kids use my china to sink driftwood in fishtanks, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that *most* mothers would be okay with, lol!!!

The ability to look on the bright side of things, and to stay positive in the face of hard times is one of those things that is so much easier said than done. Kudos to you for grinning through the worst, it really does have an astounding effect on every aspect of your life when you do your best to find that elusive silver-lining!

Thanks for the advice on tail-biting *sigh* I don't know WHAT to do!

Terra is just amazing. . . how much does a batch of 20 eggs sell for? I hope you make a mint!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #42 
SpookyTooth

Thank you! It took a while but we got it done eventually, I now have all the snails back in the tank on my desk without substrate. I'll be able to hook 'em out one by one when needed. Mum is going to enquire at her workplace (she works at a school) and see if their biology department want any snails for their tanks.

Kaze is still a wiggle bucket. I'm finding it much easier to feed him as the glass lid comes in two panels, one large one small. The smaller one still fits on the tank with the plate and jug and has a corner cut out of it, I just drop his pellets in there and he finds the easier. He's gotten into the habit of missing the first couple of times but once he gets them he thrashes them around like a dog... I think he thinks they're alive.

I was quite surprised when mum recommended using the measuring jug but it has worked a treat! I'm hoping to remove it tonight buuuut it's all down to the wood.

And thank you, sincerely. I really never understood why the positive emotions are always the hardest to maintain.

Aff, tail biting is a frustration in itself. I hope you're able to sort it out!!

Because stick insects are so prolific their eggs don't sell for that much, 10 seem to go for 2.50 so 20 would be 5 -- that isn't bad at all actually. I'm hoping to get around 3.50 - 4 per batch (I like being the cheaper choice on the market ) but we'll see. I'm going to start bagging up and getting listings produced at the weekend. I want to sell the eggs asap after they're laid so there is no risk whatsoever of hatching during transport.

Luckily I have many seed tubes and small plastic bags from when I distributed carnivorous plant seed so that will help a lot!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #43 
toad

How cool! Do you have any baby stick pictures? :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #44 
Chesh

Another round of sorting tiny things, HUZZAH!!! :) Got your PM, haven't had a chance to get back yet - busy weekend coming up, but I MUST check in!

Toad. . . I don't think any of Terra's eggs have hatched yet, but I've seen shots of the momma, and she's an AMAZING creature! Hopefully Spooks will direct you to the images when she comes around next. Really neat critters. . . I'm so glad they're doing well!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #45 
SpookyTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
How cool! Do you have any baby stick pictures? :)
As Chesh correctly stated none of the sticks have hatched yet BUT!! I do have two baby sticks of a different species! One of them moulted yesterday or the day before (found the moulted skin on the bottom of the bucket), they're sooo tiny I can't get any clear photos but one is smaller than the width of my thumb whereas the other has finally breached that point.

I'll be getting tons of baby pics once the eggs start to hatch and will also get some of the two of another species once they're big enough.

As for photoage of the adults... (I won't post IMG tags as I know some people are uneasy around insects and I don't want to scare them away if they're stalking this topic xD)...

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...eperHiQual.jpg - This is Creeper, he passed away a couple of weeks ago and was a sub-adult, due to moult

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...raSizeComp.jpg - This is Terra, my adult egg laying beast before she started laying eggs (she's even bigger now)

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...cts/Firma3.jpg - This is Firma, Terra's mate

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...ts/GaiaNew.jpg - This is Gaia, my gorgeous little lady

And I DO have a photo of the baby sticks! I just found the link heh, it's very blurry but you can just about see a line by my thumb, that's one of them! http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/P1010545.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Another round of sorting tiny things, HUZZAH!!! :) Got your PM, haven't had a chance to get back yet - busy weekend coming up, but I MUST check in!

Toad. . . I don't think any of Terra's eggs have hatched yet, but I've seen shots of the momma, and she's an AMAZING creature! Hopefully Spooks will direct you to the images when she comes around next. Really neat critters. . . I'm so glad they're doing well!
Hehe! I'm hoping to go to the aquatics store this weekend and discuss ferts so that's as busy as my weekend will get Hope yours goes well!

OH! Mum's workplace offered to take all the snails! YES! I bagged them up last night (tried to separate them into two bags: one with Ramshorn and Malaysian trumpets and the other with bladder snails) and I have my DESK BACK! Woo!!

I tried removing the jug and plate from the piece of driftwood today... removing the jug may be possible but the place has to stay for a fair while yet... at least the wood is finally sinking!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #46 
toad

Wow, those are beautiful animals! They look like something from a fairy tale :) Too cool! Thanks for sharing!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #47 
SpookyTooth

They do and you're welcome

Unfortunately it looks like Gaia is going to pass... she fell this morning and for some reason couldn't get up... she also took a tiny chunk out of my hand and it took some force to get her off.

No idea what's going on with that animal, I've always had suspicions that she was produced via parthenogenesis (where females clone themselves to create fertile embryos) as she's so small and partially deformed and now I'm convinced as she's really just.. collapsed.

I've done nothing wrong, done everything right and she's just being bleh!

On a lighter note... Kaze = still hyper happy fish.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #48 
Chesh

Oh, poor Gaia. I didn't realize that the ones that were born from females alone were. . . not as good as those that came from eggs. Hmmm. I hope your hand is okay? Doesn't sound like Gaia was being very nice to you *ouch* Poor girl. BOTH you and her. It's so sad, Spooky, but at least you have beautiful Terra, who is so strong and HUGE and faring so well. How is her manfriend doing, by the way? With that many eggs to fertilize, I imagine he's a very happy. . . erm. . . bug. I REALLY have to get by your blog :) Any updates there yet?

HUZZAH for Kaze!!! I'm SO glad to hear that he's doing well. It's going to hurt when he goes, he's such a lovely fish, and with you for so long now. So . . . have all of the issues you were concerned about cleared up in this new tank? It sounds like he's doing astoundingly better than he was!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #49 
SpookyTooth

Gaia had a lot of strength in her and stayed alive a day longer than I thought but she passed away night before last. I'm sorry I haven't offered many more updates about them and the aquarium but I've not been sleeping well at night and am feeling a bit down at the moment.

I didn't realize when I first got into stick insects that parthenogenesis caused pieces of the insects genetic code to go AWOL. Another friend of mine discussed it with me and having not heard of it before I did some research. Quite shocking.

Terra and Firma are the ideal insecty-match, I believe. Not just personality wise but their genetics seem really, really strong so this should help strengthen my stock a bit (that sounds a little bit cold but I can't think of a better way to word it). Having issues selling eggs as I'm not sure what I need to do to sell them legally on eBay, there are a few policies I've been reviewing but generally I'm confused. I've got them advertised elsewhere but I don't see me having luck there.

I'm hoping to update the blog today in a little while, I've also started work on the main site itself (getting the betta care section finished first).

Kaze scratched his head a little bit again. Silly boy. I want to do a water change today and siphon all the snail dirt out but can't cope with it right now, probably have to wait until this evening but it will get done today. The plants are growing in well, too. Haven't gotten around to picking up any fertilizers, will probably give it a while or ask for some for my birthday... aff I don't like getting gifts, makes me feel guilty. Eh, we'll see.

Once my muscle spasms go off I should be able to get some more work done on the website which will be lovely.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #50 
Chesh

Sorry to hear, love. I hope you get back on a restful schedule. It can be so difficult to keep a positive attitude when you aren't sleeping well. Everything seems more difficult when you aren't well rested (for me, anyway - and I NEVER sleep, so I'd know!)

How odd. . . I wonder why things evolved that way? It seems strange to me. . . if the species is able to self-propagate when males aren't available, you'd think these insects would at least be. . . viable? Do you know why it is? lol, does ANYONE?

Poor Gaia. . . I'm sorry to hear it, but I'm so happy for Terra and Firma. I can't wait until their eggs begin to hatch. Praying for strong babies to match their parents. I hope all the ones you send away will find good homes, with people who care as much as you do about them. They're really amazing insects.

Please take care of yourself, dear. Kaze is in a newly set-up tank, but cycled, and with so much plant growth, I'm sure he'll be okay if he's a day late for his weekly water change. YOU ARE MOST IMPORTANT! And if your health goes downhill, who will they have to care for them. Be careful, and try to rest *hugs* I CAN wait until the next update - take your time! I suppose. . . there is another place to talk of bugs, as this thread was about the filter, and that is over with. Until the NEXT time, anyway!