Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #1 
Tankfull Tropicals

Royal Farlowella > AKA > Twig catfishPictures of Spawn.

They are Royal Farlowellas and are extremely endangered. I registered this spawn on planet catfish and it is the only one recorded. That makes me feel pretty happy. There are more than 70 eggs in this one spawn. I have had 4 previos spawns and am having great difficulty raising the fry. Any Expert oppinions would be Very welcome. Thanks Doug

> http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...over-28466.jpg
>http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...ding-28464.jpg
Tankfull Tropicals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Awesome work you are doing there! I don't think we have a loricariid experts here, so you're more than welcome to fill that position. It seems like you're already on your way with a breeding like that. The farlowella species are my favorite of the loricariidae. In fact, they are some of my favorite catfish!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #3 
Chesh

Oh wow!!! This is very, very cool! I love these fish, wish I had some input for you on how to get the babies through. What are you feeding them?
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #4 
Tankfull Tropicals

I have tried everything that 44 yrs has taught me. > Infusoria, egg yolk, crushed green algae, brine shrimp. It is almost like they do not figure out HOW to eat. They are always very stationary unless disturbed. I have read 1 article that says they need shallow water so I am going to try that with this next spawn. They should hatch Sept. 14th.
It is very interesting to watch the spawning process. They are not at all shy and the females collect sperm from the male the same way that cores do while laying about 5 eggs at a time in a great shimmying display. My mature females are producing 70-80 eggs at a time about 7 weeks apart. They have not stopped since they all started in May 2012. I have 3 pair and a very few dozen young fish to show for it so far.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 
Chesh

Hmmm... are your tanks densely planted? I wonder if they would have to have the right plants available to eat for themselves? Either way, for an endangered species who much never spawns in an aquarium, I'd have to say that you should be VERY proud of yourself for even managing to keep a few dozen alive! Good job! Please keep us posted, hopefully lowering the water level will help things out. . . and yes - you REALLY need to get pics of the little ones!!! I don't know much of anything about Farlowella - much less Royal Farlowella, but they're some amazing little animals. I'm glad that these got into good hands :)
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They are gorgeous. Hopefully you figure them out.
Do you sell?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 
Chesh

I was wondering how long it would take you to get here, Olympia! I had never heard of Farlowella at all until you got some, and I have to say, I've fallen quite in love with yours! They're really cool little creatures, that's for sure!!!

Tankfull. . . I just saw that you posted some of the baby pics in your album! GREAT shots, and OMG!!!! They're so darn CUTE!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hehe, those are such cute little babies!
Royals are the big type, could have one in the 90 gallon.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #9 
Tankfull Tropicals

I do sell but only locally. I supply our local shops and could ship in western Canada. I breed many endangered plecos as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Darn it! Stupid Ontario...