Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #21 
Serai7

How do I acclimate my betta from low temp to high temp water?

I want to move my veiltail betta from his 62 degree one gallon bowl into an 82 degree 5 gallon aquarium, what's the best way to acclimate him from such drastic temperature differences to keep him happiest and healthiest? I just think the usual floating them in a bag or little cup for 30 mins and intervals of adding new tank water won't be enough?
Also, is it necessary to use aquasafe along with stress coat with all water changes?

Sorry to make a new sort of unrelated post on your post I couldn't figure out how to make a brand new post of my own
Serai7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #22 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serai7 View Post
I want to move my veiltail betta from his 62 degree one gallon bowl into an 82 degree 5 gallon aquarium, what's the best way to acclimate him from such drastic temperature differences to keep him happiest and healthiest? I just think the usual floating them in a bag or little cup for 30 mins and intervals of adding new tank water won't be enough?
Also, is it necessary to use aquasafe along with stress coat with all water changes?

Sorry to make a new sort of unrelated post on your post I couldn't figure out how to make a brand new post of my own
To make your own thread, there is a "new Thread" button in every forum opposite the page numbers up the top.

I would say to float him. with as much of the original water as possible. it will take longer for the temperature in a larger amount of water to even out.
I would say 2 degrees or so an hour would be about right. you may even be able to do five, watch for behavioral changes, and adjust as needed. You may also bring down the heater so that the temperature settles around 76. I've made instantaneous moves with my fish to +5F from their original temperatures with no adverse effect.

By the way, 62 is terribly cold. I'm surprised that your fish is still OK.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #23 
RoxieStClaire

Ugh, shoot, I was hoping the solution to this wasn't "just use warm tap water" because I don't trust mine. It literally smells and tastes like it came directly from a public swimming pool no matter how long I let it run before using it, that's how chlorinated it is. I don't even drink it anymore, and I've felt so much healthier since I've stopped...

So would this work instead? I was planning on keeping the jugs of spring water I usually use in one of the warmer parts of my house, then floating my fish in a bag (so he won't get knocked around while I pour in the water) and adding it just a little bit at a time to let it warm up to the same temp as the rest of the water before pouring in more. Or do I HAVE to somehow find a way to heat it up first, then add it?
RoxieStClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #24 
Serai7

I've heard it's the worst thing to do to make instantaneous water changes it badly effects them even though it isn't obvious all the time... and I had a betta years ago I got from a neighbor that was half frozen and we had him for three years kept him on top of the fridge which was a little warm.. he survived cold cold winters I didn't know much abotu bettas then but anyway I want these bettas to be in good environment as possible.............. soyou suggest to float him with as much of his original water as possible.. and when he's actually in the new tank to gradually turn up the degrees?
Serai7 is offline   Reply With Quote