Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

Another Lecture at Walmart...

I went to Walmart to get some food, and dogs treats...I hate going to the pet section, but it is the only store that carries my dogs treats. Anyway, ya'll know what happened..I had to go look at the bettas. There were approximately 30 betta cups, maybe more!!! I tried not to look in the cups as I unstacked the ones on top of each other (no air)...I also tried not to look at the fish in the cups..then I saw it...a betta fish in a cup with a DEAD betta! The water was so murky because of the decaying fish! I ran to the sink, my hands shaking, and changed the water, dumping the dead fish in the sink...added some water conditioner I was buying...omgosh..I was so flippin' upset. I got my things paid for and waited for a manager...I got a manager and two asst. c.s managers...I gave them a huge lecture, while keeping my voice as steady as possible..then I walked back to the bettas with one of the managers...I explained about the water quality, or lack of it..I told her about bettas needing air to breathe, and that the cups should NOT be stacked on top of each other. I pointed out that they were ordering WAY too many bettas at one time, and that most of the ones we were looking at would be dead before they could sell them. She seemed to listen carefully to me, and said she would check the "sale rate" on them so she could change their ordering process...sigh. I made sure I told all three managers that I had sent a letter to corporate complaining of their treatment of their fish, and that I would be sending another one...I don't know if this will ever make any difference, but I have to keep trying.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 
Mako

Sounds like the treatment of every wal-mart fish. I think I only bought fish from wal-mart one time when I was younger. The fish died within a few days. This is why I only shop from stores that specialize in fish and aquarium keeping. You can't ask a wal-mart sales rep. about the fish because they don't know unless if you are lucky enough to ask one that just happens to be an aquarium keeper.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

I HATE Walmart, I don'r support them in any way until they remove fish from their store entirely.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #4 
Mako

It's not just fish that is the problem with wal-mart. I bought many different things at wal-mart and I found them breaking in some way. They broke before their expectancy and through the usage that it was intended for. Lower prices for sure, but you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, this also applies to the living organisms that they hold. Wal-Mart should have a law where they must have at least one employee who specializes in the care of these fish.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
It's not just fish that is the problem with wal-mart. I bought many different things at wal-mart and I found them breaking in some way. They broke before their expectancy and through the usage that it was intended for. Lower prices for sure, but you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, this also applies to the living organisms that they hold. Wal-Mart should have a law where they must have at least one employee who specializes in the care of these fish.
I totally agree on all points...I did tell the manager that I am looking for a job if they need someone to care for their fish...but, honestly I'm just hoping they stop selling them all together.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #6 
Mako

If you do get a job there and change a lot with the fish section at that Wal-Mart, it might be possible that it can set up a chain reaction.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #7 
zoobekka

I am currently trying to nurse a Betta I bought at Walmart back to health, not sure if he will make it, but I just felt so sorry for him, I had to give it a shot!
zoobekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
If you do get a job there and change a lot with the fish section at that Wal-Mart, it might be possible that it can set up a chain reaction.
That is my thought too..the change will have to come from INSIDE the corporation...this is what I said to the three managers I was talking too, one of which was almost in tears as I told about the beauty of these creatures....I will keep trying to make a difference..even if ONE person starts caring from within the company, then maybe change will come.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoobekka View Post
I am currently trying to nurse a Betta I bought at Walmart back to health, not sure if he will make it, but I just felt so sorry for him, I had to give it a shot!
I hope he makes it too. I know how hard it is..We don't want to support their treatment of these fish, and yet, it's very difficult to leave one there that we KNOW is just gonna die anyway..it's a two edged sword. Five out of my 6 are from Walmart...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #10 
aaroncm

At least you made a temporary difference there but of course they might just end up ignoring you. But you might get the job

I wouldn't mind doing something like that, but there's no walmarts here and I don't know enough about other animals to work at a pet store probably.
aaroncm is offline   Reply With Quote