Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 
xJuliannaDee

Cloudy/Stinky/Slimy water

Hey everyone!

I'm new here, so hello!

Anyways, I have been looking for days but can't find a straight answer so I'm hoping someone can give me a hand.

I have my Betta in a 2.5 Gallon glass tank with an Anubias plant, pebbles, a Spongebob ornament and two silk plants. I don't have a filter (I'm getting one tomorrow), and ever since I added a heater, the water reeks and there is a film around everything in the tank (decorations, plant). There are also slimy bits floating in the water. Before I added the heater, I tested the water and the parameters were perfect according to my testing kit.

When I added the heater, two days later I noticed the cloudy water and a stench (almost like rotting eggs). Fearing my Betta was going to die right away I tested the water again and nothing had changed, save the pH level raised from 7.4 to 7.8.

I have removed the heater to see if maybe the brand is the issue, or it's not working right. When I had the tank without the fish or heater, I'd check the temperature of the water and was holding at 76 so I think he should be ok for now until I figure this out.

I'm thinking maybe it's the type of heater that it is? Has anyone experienced this with a perhaps sub-par heater?

My Betta (his name is Schenn by the way), is super happy, he's swimming around, responds to me when I come into the room and come up to the tank, and he's eating fine (he adores blood worms, it's adorable).

I change the water 25% once a week and use a conditioner and everything, but as soon as I noticed the stinky mess I changed the water at 50%...and it didn't seem to help.

I would truly appreciate any insight!
xJuliannaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #2 
MSG

I hope you didn't order a filter yet.

• Not sure what to suggest until you mention which brand 2.5G tank you have.
  • That water you dislike, is from the bacteria, eating the poo and bits of food left in the water..... due to the lack of filtration.
  • Your problem will be solved once the filter is established, but until then, you need more water changes.
  • Are you using test strips or do you have the full water test kit?
  • What are you feeding your fish & how much?
  • Picture of your entire tank would be most helpful.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

I'm not sure if your heater has anything to do with it, but I do feel you should up your water changes. In my 2.5g tank I do one 50% and one 100% a week..it can get messed up really fast because it is a relatively small tank.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #4 
xJuliannaDee

-Marineland is the brand. Picked it up at Petsmart.
-How more frequently should I do these changes? Everyday?
-I'm using test strips that test for Nitrates, Nitrites, Hardness, Alkalinity, pH. Is there more I should be testing for? I will make sure to do it straight away.

EDIT**

Also I should mention I siphon poop and food out when I check my tank every day with a turkey baster. I watch him eat and he does eat all the things I am feeding him so I'm more cleaning out the poop.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

I do two a week with my 2.5g..even with just the one female the water gets pretty messed up quickly. I do one 50% and one 100% a week.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #6 
Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuliannaDee View Post
-Marineland is the brand. Picked it up at Petsmart.
-How more frequently should I do these changes? Everyday?
-I'm using test strips that test for Nitrates, Nitrites, Hardness, Alkalinity, pH. Is there more I should be testing for? I will make sure to do it straight away.
Ammonia is very important to monitor. API liquid test kit is the way to go. $10 for an ammonia kit at petsmart.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #7 
xJuliannaDee

Okie dokie, thank you, I'll be sure to pick one up today!

A friend of mine who is a huge fish enthusiast (he has 5 tanks) is giving me a filter tomorrow so I'm hoping that helps...

Thanks for your insight. I'm wondering if I should pick up a lager tank for him?
Old 09-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes a filter will help a lot with that problem good your getting one. For sure pick up that kit those strips are not at all good and a waste of money. I have a 5 gallon tank and my betta loves it, so much room to explore and swim in and I love I can put more stuff in it without crowding it to much. So its up to you about getting a bigger tank but if you do it would be easier to cycle also which there is plenty of help here to tell you how to do that.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #9 
xJuliannaDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
  • Not sure what to suggest until you mention which brand 2.5G tank you have.
  • That water you dislike, is from the bacteria, eating the poo and bits of food left in the water..... due to the lack of filtration.
  • Your problem will be solved once the filter is established, but until then, you need more water changes.
  • Are you using test strips or do you have the full water test kit?
  • What are you feeding your fish & how much?
  • Picture of your entire tank would be most helpful.
I am feeding him 2 pellets of Aqueon Betta Food pellets twice a day, and have recently added Tetra Freeze dried blood worms, one every other day in conjunction with his pellets.

You can see the cloudiness and especially on the Pineapple ornament the residue on there.

Name:  IMG_1368.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1369.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1370.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1371.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  37.2 KB