Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #11 
sunlight

Hey rich how is your betta doing? How much water changes and how often you do for your 5 gall?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #12 
rich e rich

hey sunlight,

The betta is doing well. I had it in a 5 gallon tank (filter included, with a plastic plant), and it was happy, until I realized that it was getting fin rot, and still had the fade stripe across its body. So at the moment, I put it in a 1 gallon tank with Methalene Blue.

It's eating very well, it swims regularly, and comes up to me when I am near. So it's responsive, but not like a new betta fresh from the fish store, you know? I live in Trinidad, in the Caribbean. I check the water temp with my finger, and its never cold at all, just normal. I think a heater is a bit too much for me....with that, betta owning is becoming more complicated than rumoured.

I change the water 50% every 3 days
rich e rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #13 
sunlight

ok if he is eating well and active and just has mild fin rot do not add Methalene Blue.
If you have him in 1 gall you need to do 100% water changes about every 3-4 days.
Just make sure you acclimate betta when you do 100% water changes. If you don't use heater it even easier for you. I don't use heater in the summer time. Do you know what temperature in your house or in the room he is in?
My bettas fine during the summer actually i take heaters out in may till now oct i still don't have heaters in.

One tip which i do and i love. Take one gall and put water conditioner in the water let it stay overnight and change him next day.This way new water temp the same as his.

Definitely do 100% water changes every 3 -4 days. Don't let the food fall to the bottom of the tank. Make sure he eats if not take it out.

Now if you think he has fin rot and his tail getting worse do aquarium salt.
Do you want instructions on that? Can you find aquarium salt in the pet store? It really better then medications and less stressful and people saying even will bust immune system.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich e rich View Post
hey sunlight,

The betta is doing well. I had it in a 5 gallon tank (filter included, with a plastic plant), and it was happy, until I realized that it was getting fin rot, and still had the fade stripe across its body. So at the moment, I put it in a 1 gallon tank with Methalene Blue.

It's eating very well, it swims regularly, and comes up to me when I am near. So it's responsive, but not like a new betta fresh from the fish store, you know? I live in Trinidad, in the Caribbean. I check the water temp with my finger, and its never cold at all, just normal. I think a heater is a bit too much for me....with that, betta owning is becoming more complicated than rumoured.

I change the water 50% every 3 days
Make sure you vacuum the gravel when you change the water and clean wash filter media;)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote