Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #1 
Jiirim

Splitting a 5gal?

My boy, Pongo, has been living in a 5gal for the last couple of months and my other boy, Roy, has been living in what I believe is a 1.5 gal for just as long. Yesterday I got a new Betta, female this time, and I want to move her into that 1.5 gal if I don't get her her permanent tank today.
Would splitting the 5gal still provide enough space for the two males or should I get a whole new tank?

Roy is also prone to Fin rot and gets sick pretty easily and just recovered from a pretty nasty Fin Rot episode. Could that potentially effect Pongo if I split the tank?
Jiirim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiirim View Post
My boy, Pongo, has been living in a 5gal for the last couple of months and my other boy, Roy, has been living in what I believe is a 1.5 gal for just as long. Yesterday I got a new Betta, female this time, and I want to move her into that 1.5 gal if I don't get her her permanent tank today.
Would splitting the 5gal still provide enough space for the two males or should I get a whole new tank?

Roy is also prone to Fin rot and gets sick pretty easily and just recovered from a pretty nasty Fin Rot episode. Could that potentially effect Pongo if I split the tank?
I divided my 5.5g for two of my boys, and I think they have a good amount of space in there...even with the dividers (I used two) and the filter in between the dividers.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

I currently have two of my four in a 5 gallon, if you want I can post pics of the set up.

As for the 1.5, I feel like a fish shouldn't be in that for extended periods of time unless it's absolutely necessary or there's no other way around it.

I'd keep it as a hospital tank forwhen your bettas get sick. When they get something that's spreadable, you should separate them so they don't pass it on. But then can return when they're better
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #4 
laynisample

If your boy is so prone to finrot I would not suggest splitting the tank. 2.5 gallons is adequate space for a betta from what I've read. I keep my guys in three gallon tanks and they seem to be doing well.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #5 
Jiirim

Would putting my female into the split 5gal be a better option then?
Jiirim is offline   Reply With Quote