Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #1 
kevinbacon

Question New to bettas - is my fish ill?

Okay, so I've had my fish Kevin for oh, maybe going on a month now. I've been doing everything I can to keep his tank clean and to keep him happy and healthy.

The first few weeks I had him, he seemed really hungry all the time. I have been feeding him micro pellet betta food produced by ZooMed. Does anyone know how good this food is for a betta? And how much should I feed him of the micro pellets? I have been giving him 5 pellets twice daily, but lately he hasn't been eating more than two or three at a sitting.

Also, if you could please check out my photo album, because I've noticed lately that his top fin seems a little droopy (I don't know whether or not it would be considered clamped or not, he still flares fine; he's one feisty little fish), and that he seems a bit pale - not overly so, but maybe not as vibrant a color as he could be. Do his fins and overall body look pretty healthy?

Just mainly worried about his reduced appetite and droopiness. Any help is greatly appreciated!
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #2 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
i don't see any major progression from your photos. I have only kept bettas from May til now but I've made many changes .. all I can say is that people may say that 10 pellets a day is more than enough, that bettas are meant to be little piggies and appear hungry even when you have fed enough .. etc.

I don't see the droopiness. I would only know to suggest you test the ammonia, nitrates/nitrites and temperature . . and possibly if you want to make him happier give him real plants or fake plants that float near the surface, or a hammock of some sort. His tank is not bad, but maybe he might like more "stuff to do".

I am sure the experts will chime in.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #3 
PaulO

Honestly he looks fine, he's just one a crowntail that thinks hes too cool for school :P. With those big fins I'm not surprised their droopy, its like how when we relax where we prop our head up against an arm or pillow. Usually bettas will sort of chill and let their fins relax they'll flare for attention, in aggression, food, and other stuff. I would only be concerned if he's flaring nonstop all the time. As far as I know when a betta clamps his/her fins it's not just one fin they clamp up completely like turtles do in their shells. As for food just sort of experiment as long as his stomach dosen't look like it will burst like a water balloon then it should be ok. The only thing to remember is more food = more poop = more bio-load and ammonia to be converted by bb. I like to feed my bettas less per meal but more through the day, and I taper down the amount and size when it gets darker. Good Luck :)
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #4 
kevinbacon

I'm going to go ahead and re-open this one since it hasn't been inactive for long and I've run into some problems.
Thanks everyone for your help on the last set of questions tho.

My betta has been losing some scales due to rubbing against the cave in his tank (I've witnessed this myself; I've removed it by the way). Will frequent water changes and a conditioner with stress coat help him regrow his scales? Should I try anything else to help him? Any help is appreciated.
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #5 
Shadyr

Warm water, changed maybe a bit more frequently to keep it clean, and some stress coat should do him good. I had one get some scales bonked off on his back, it took about a week to heal up.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #6 
PaulO

Rubbing against decor could mean parasites. Parasites usually will bother the poor betta to no ends, the whole rubbing himself against stuff is the way a betta scratches itself since it has no hands. The main thing is are you sure he didn't do it by accident or is it happening consistently?

Last edited by PaulO; 09-15-2012 at 03:54 AM.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, droopy fins, loss of appetite, not eating, sick