Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #1 
Catie79

Betta is crazy?

This is actually a legitimate question. I've got two males. I've got tons of stories of my half moon male wedging himself into corners and under things, requiring rescue. My veil tail has no trouble with this. Every time I go past the tank I have to check to see if Fly is trapped somewhere. I just freed him from trying to wedge himself under a rock that really couldn't have fit my thumb. The tank has been rescaped specifically to get rid of places he can get caught in, but he still manages!

His fins are getting torn up due to his frequent scrapes with death. Even with plants, I found him wedged under my tethered banana plant once. He's convinced he has to go under ANYTHING in his tank.

Is this a betta thing, or is he a bit . . . slow.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #2 
Frazzle

Tad bit funny... XD

But I would consider removing all his decor', and adding a simple, cave like structure that he can't go under.

Probably will still manage though!
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #3 
Catie79

I'll admit, it's pretty funny. Just frustrating when I see that he's messed himself up again. I've cut way back on his decor, but since it's a divided tank I'm reluctant to make it too bare. I might not have a choice, though. I can pile the extra decor on Lucky's side.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #4 
Frazzle

I removed this:

My betta got his head stuck in a little hole, and I have to firmly push him back out with the round end of a toothbrush. Didn't think he was going to make it... missing scales and such. Now he's better (:
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzle View Post
I removed this:

My betta got his head stuck in a little hole, and I have to firmly push him back out with the round end of a toothbrush. Didn't think he was going to make it... missing scales and such. Now he's better (:
Sorry, that story made me giggle a little
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 
Catie79

Fly managed to wedge himself under a rock and I wasn't home. I got him loose and he was missing scales, one eye cloudy, one fin not working. I didn't think he would make it. A couple days later and he was back at it.

His fins look like confetti this morning, so it looks like he got in another tussle with his aquarium. Time for yet another revamp. This fish is just nuts.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #7 
BettaQi

I had one crown tail male wh liked to feel squished.

He would wedge himself in between the suction-Cup thermometer and the wall of the tank.

Or lie underneath one of the plants that I had lying sideways in the tank bc it fell over.

It's kind of like Temple Grandin noticing that animals like to feel squished. Thus the thunder shirt for dogs during storms.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #8 
Bettared228

Nuts too

I got a divided tank 2.5 gallon. 2 male bettas. One is docile and the other one is more aggressive. He wants to fight and will find anyway he can. I don't know if he was jumping the wall or what. He managed to get over 2x. I adjusted the water level thinking that was the problem and he still got over. I finally just had to put him in his own tank. The agressive one got his tail tore up too. Which is strange. Crazy.
Bettared228 is offline   Reply With Quote