Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #1 
sandrac8388
Member
 
sandrac8388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Wanting to start a Betta sorority!

I'm interested in starting a betta sorority, but wanted some info as in how many betta per gallons and the care and accesories that would have to be taken into account. Would i have to cycle? and what are the benefits of cycling? would i be able to get away with water changes every week, etc. Any advice would help. Thanks

Sandra

P.S. i currently have one male betta.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
There needs to be 10 or 15 gallon with 20 way better 3 to five females at least hiding spots NO males just females and not all females can live in sorioty. The benefits of cycling are fish not dying for cycling for about a month put some sort of ammonia say fish food in there also the females have to be introduced at the same time so they have not claimed the tank.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #3 
Xiuhcoati
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Graham, WA
I have a successful sorority with 11 females in a 30 gallon. My set- up includes a large cave with holes on it and medium density plants around that. Put them in at the same time, and watch, net in hand, for trouble makers. The original crew had a pink one in it that promptly attacked the others. We Isolated her within minutes, and didn't have a problem thereafter.

We have a power filter and do 25% changes weekly. We used a chemical called stability to help with tank cycling. Never had a problem, all of the gang is still alive to this day.
Xiuhcoati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #4 
Lizzie the Badger
Member
 
Lizzie the Badger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somewhere in Pennsylvania
I have four female bettas together. You need at least four females, three is very stressful on them and two will fight. A 10 gallon will do, but bigger tanks mean happier fish!

It all depends on the personality of the fish, some may be okay with it, while others try to pick fights.

Give them tons of hiding spots.

Good luck!
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 
babystarz
Member
 
babystarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
You'll want to start the tank with at least 5-6 females, because one or two of them may end up being too aggressive or too submissive to live in a community tank and you don't want to end up with fewer than 4 ever.

You should stock with 2 gallons per betta; so a 10 gallon could host 5 girls, a 12 gallon could host 6, etc.

You need to have at least one shelter per fish, and they need to all have multiple exits so nobody can be cornered.

Good plants (real or fake) are also essential for breaking up the sight line and providing cover to hide in. Start with at least 2 nice sized plants that almost reach the surface per fish, and floating plants in addition to that would be great too. Then you'll need to fill in any bare spots in the tank with nice wide, leafy plants.

A tank that is large enough to host a sorority will typically cycle on its own anyway. Get the API Master Freshwater Test Kit so you can check your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels and it'll give you a good idea as to when the tank has cycled. Regularly testing this stuff can also alert you to dangerous chemical spikes in your tank that could injure or kill your fish if not detected.

Weekly water changes are sufficient, I do a 75% change in my sorority once a week. A good gravel vacuum is necessary too because more fish = more waste to clean up.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
You'll want to start the tank with at least 5-6 females, because one or two of them may end up being too aggressive or too submissive to live in a community tank and you don't want to end up with fewer than 4 ever.

You should stock with 2 gallons per betta; so a 10 gallon could host 5 girls, a 12 gallon could host 6, etc.

You need to have at least one shelter per fish, and they need to all have multiple exits so nobody can be cornered.

Good plants (real or fake) are also essential for breaking up the sight line and providing cover to hide in. Start with at least 2 nice sized plants that almost reach the surface per fish, and floating plants in addition to that would be great too. Then you'll need to fill in any bare spots in the tank with nice wide, leafy plants.

A tank that is large enough to host a sorority will typically cycle on its own anyway. Get the API Master Freshwater Test Kit so you can check your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels and it'll give you a good idea as to when the tank has cycled. Regularly testing this stuff can also alert you to dangerous chemical spikes in your tank that could injure or kill your fish if not detected.

Weekly water changes are sufficient, I do a 75% change in my sorority once a week. A good gravel vacuum is necessary too because more fish = more waste to clean up.
The smallest amount of Bettas for a sorioty is 3 by your logic 6 gallons is good 10 gallons is barely enough.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish
Member
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I think sororities with only 3-4 females are less likely to work long term. You really need to slightly overstock sororities so as to disperse aggression and prevent weaker females from being constantly singled out and attacked.

I have had 25 females in a 25 gallon tank and never ran into any issues. At the moment I have 12 females in a densely planted 10 gallon and they are doing really well.

Water quality is paramount in a sorority. A sorority is high-stress environment, and if your water quality is poor, your females can be left very vulnerable to disease. You must have a test kit for ammonia and nitrite if you are going to go ahead with a sorority tank, and unless you are experienced with fish-in or silent cycling, I highly recommend you do a fishless cycle first.

The most important component for a successful sorority, is lots of cover. You want at least 3/4s of your tank covered with plants, whether live or artificial. You also want plants that provide cover at all levels of the tank. No use having a lot of short plants when all your females are fighting up top.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #8 
babystarz
Member
 
babystarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
The smallest amount of Bettas for a sorioty is 3 by your logic 6 gallons is good 10 gallons is barely enough.
Um, no, someone already mentioned that the minimum is 10 gallons. And since I said the minimum number of fish to start with is 5, that would automatically mean that I'm not recommending a tank of less than 10 gallons. And I disagree, the smallest amount of bettas for a sorority is not 3. That's not enough. It might work in some situations but as a general rule, no.

Last edited by babystarz; 09-09-2012 at 06:03 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Um, no, someone already mentioned that the minimum is 10 gallons. And since I said the minimum number of fish to start with is 5, that would automatically mean that I'm not recommending a tank of less than 10 gallons. And I disagree, the smallest amount of bettas for a sorority is not 3. That's not enough. It might work in some situations but as a general rule, no.
A pecking order works by one in charge of two the second one is in charge of the bottom one picking is equally disturbed.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #10 
babystarz
Member
 
babystarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
A pecking order works by one in charge of two the second one is in charge of the bottom one picking is equally disturbed.
Pecking order isn't the only consideration that needs to be taken into account. A larger group prevents individuals from being singled out, and feuds are less likely. If there are only two other fish in the tank, one fish could start ganging up on another constantly. When there are more fish in the tank, it's harder to focus on stalking individuals because there's more movement from other fish and their paths to complicate things. I have often seen one fish inadvertently end a chase by swimming in between a pursuer and a fish being chased.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanting to start breeding!! :D Smile4Me2Night Breeding Betta Fish 10 02-16-2011 04:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.