Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #11 
MoonShadow

Yikes! Poor thing! Have you tried any sort of treatment? How does he act? Is he eating? It could be a tumor, but I've never seen one form like that before! It's possible that it's a really bad internal bacterial infection and his head is filled with liquid.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #12 
Shinkutsunami

Okay I'll contact them about it! I feel so bad for him he's just at the bottom of his tank not moving at all... he's been acting like this for a couple weeks now. and yeah, I've tried treating him with epsom salt... it didn't help at all. :/ back in May, I put up a thread about this and everyone came to the conclusion that it was either a tumor, or a buildup of dragon scales. (he's a dragon scale betta) It did look a lot different back then though. I can't believe how much worse it's gotten. Here are some pics of it back in May
Attached Images

Shinkutsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Interesting. If it had been white, I would have said lymphocystis, which are growths that look like cauliflower (hence it's other name, "cauliflower disease." But I don't think lympho takes on the same color of the scales.

There are definitely two possibilities. One is a tumor, like you said. The other is that he's got a rip-roaring infection under his scales. How is his behavior aside from the growth? Does he eat? Can he swim and breathe okay? Is he lethargic at all?

EDIT:
What dosage of epsom salt did you use? For how long?

I'm definitely not a dragon-scale expert but I don't think the scales can build up like that. There's got to be something else going on.

Hmm. Another possibility, although a small one, is gas bubble disease. You know all those little bubbles that cling to the side of a tank after a water change? Those are nitrogen bubbles that occur when large amounts of cold water is rapidly heated up (such as during a water change). On rare occasions, those bubbles get inhaled through the gills and they can travel through the bloodstream and attach themselves to the walls of the body cavity. It's common for those bubbles to end up near the eyes or in the fins. But, the only problem I see with that is those bubbles usually absorb after a few days. :/ Hmm. The poor guy. Do you think you can get a pic of his eye too? Bit concerned about that. Looks almost like the growths are forcing his eyeball out at a funny angle.

Last edited by Sakura8; 09-11-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #14 
missketie

Poor baby. I hope he gets better.
missketie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

If it is a tumor-not a lot you can do-Epsom salt may or may not help-all Epsom salt will do is ease some of the symptom to help make him more comfy-it won't/can't cure him.

Usually they will not die due to the tumor per se, however, as the tumor grows it can impede on daily living and organs and this is what kills the Betta. Tumors grow at different rates and if it is growing to the point that he is suffering-you may need to make the hard decision and do what is right by him....Only you can make that decision.......

Another thought-it could be a parasite.....but it really looks more like a tumor to me based on the growth....

Sorry I couldn't be of more help....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #16 
cjayBetta

So sorry for your guy, i just had to put my little guy down for a tumor on his side.. His fins were falling apart and he couldnt swim right... Hope your guy can hold on longer then mine did.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #17 
Shinkutsunami

Yeah he still eats like a pig he just seems a lot slower and has a very hard time seeing the food with his left eye. he mostly hangs around the bottom of the tank and honestly seems very miserable! He's swimming around right now though. I had him on epsom for like a week I think and I couldn't see any improvements so I just stopped with the epsom. that was months ago though and it didn't look nearly as bad as it does now! Here are pics of his good eye and bad eye. (note the white on his left eye is not a reflection! it's actually turned white like a cataract or something)
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and get him back in the Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannin source if you have one.

Premixed the treatment water to use for 50% every other day water changes-offer good nutrition.

The Epsom salt is safe to use long term if needed......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #19 
Shinkutsunami

Okay I'll put him back on it! I really don't know if he's gonna make it for much longer though judging by how he's acting.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #20 
lelei

Omg..the poor fishy..I do remember breifly that thread..it progressed like that..have you tried Aq salt, or Epsom better for that..I am in the process of trying to figure out if my Sapphire is going blind, in one eye, his eye color changing, and looking like a cataract..wth..these fishy's get really bad diseases..maybe with age, idk..I feel for you, have you had him long time? Is he a VT?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, dragon scale, help confused, sick betta, tumor