Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #1 
Frazzle

What would I need?

Lets say I were going to get another 10 gallon tank.

What would you's say would be the best things for me to get.

Pictures, brand names, links, anything. I think I wanna go all out on my next tank.
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804453 This is good.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #3 
DragonFish

Oooo, a whole new 10 gallon! How fun!!

Well it would depend on what you want to do with it. Are you looking for a single betta alone? Betta community? Divided? Sorority? LOTS of options you have for a 10 gallon~

Personally, regardless of what you do, I'd suggest a sandy substrate. It just looks so nice IMO. Also, you could look into setting up an NPT(head over to the Planted Tanks section for a little more info on that...I'm terrible with plants. xD;), those are fantastic!

Are you looking for heater/filter/hood/kit suggestions as well? Or just ideas on what to do with it?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #4 
Frazzle

I got the top fin tank, and its my current on, but i dont like the filter it came with. My main questions are equipment based. What color, size, watt of the bulbs? Substrate? Plant vs plastic? Background or none? Decorations? Undergravel filter or not? That kinda jawn
Old 09-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #5 
BettaQi

Never plastic plants always silk or real -- plastic shreds fins!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Ahhhh, gottcha.

Well no under-gravel filter. Those things are just terrible. 8/
You could look into sponge filters. I've heard wonderful things about them for betta tanks, though I've never used one myself.
While it has a bit of a stronger flow and may need a little extra baffling depending on what you do with the tank/what bettas you have in it, I've always really liked Aqueon HOB filters. I've had great experiences with them.

As far as bulbs and wattage goes, that would depend on if you're going with life plants or not. For my artificially planted 10, I just picked up a pair of normal 15 watt bulbs from Petco....though in my five gallon I have one of those florescent long/strip bulbs and I like the look of it better.
If you're thinking NPT, I'm not sure exactly what to recommend as all of my tanks are artificially planted, but the Planted Tank section here has some awesome info about all that.

For substrate....well it depends. For an NPT, I think most people use some sort of soil topped with sand or gravel. If you're not doing NPT, its pretty much up to what you like. Personally I like the look of sand, but if you prefer the look of gravel then go with gravel.

For backgrounds, thats all about what you like the look of. I personally find those store-sold backdrops to be a little too busy....I prefer the look of a simple black backdrop, if anything. But its all up to what you like the look of.

For decor and planting.....again, thats all up to you. NPTs with some driftwood pieces are great if you can do them, lots of benefits, and they look pretty awesome. If you want to go artificial, I'd suggest silk instead of plastic.....and of course they sell all kinds of different caves and decorations and whatnot. Its all up to your personal tastes.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #7 
Frazzle

I meant silk haha. And the flow of a filter isnt a big deal, my whispers push my bettas around, so i used the wool from another filter as a baffle for both.