Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #1 
mplsmommy

Question Terra Cotta/ Clay Pot Turning My Water Orange?

Question:
I have 3 terra cotta pots in my 10 gal right now. There are no fish in it yet since I have to buy my plants yet.
However, my water has taken on this almost orange tint. Is it the pots?
I washed my gravel really well yesterday when I first noticed it and did a 100% water change with water from my britta filter to make sure it wasn't my tap water either.
I've seen them used before I thought, has anyone had this problem? Is there a solution besides taking them out?
Thanks for any advice/help.
mplsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

I have heard of some people having trouble with this, while others have not.
If I were you, I'd take them out and sit them in a bucket of water, and replenish the water in the bucket until they are done giving off the color.

Oh, and be sure to plug the holes on the bottom of the pots with either aquarium safe silicone or a small piece of an aquarium sponge/foam, often times bettas try to swim through and can be severely injured or killed.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

I was going to get some of these also, but when I went to Dollar Tree all they had was plastic ones...turns out it was a great deal 4pack for $1, and different colors to choose from..I'm glad I went this way, I worried about the terracotta pots.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote