Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Separation Anxiety

I have felt so depressed lately. I have clinical depression but since I have medication, it takes it's ups and downs. I have basically been home all the time since I've been sick (months ago) and I don't really talk to anyone except on here. The only person I really communicate with in person is my boyfriend, who I live with. When he goes to work or to his friends house I always get anxious and depressed. The longer he's gone, the more anxious I get, and the more self-destructive I become (not eating, and I have this nervous habit where I scratch my skin). I feel like I'm just like a dog. IDK, just felt like saying all that. I have no one else to talk to...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #2 
staffylover

Awww honey can you not get any more support or help? Are there any groups you could join maybe on line initially and get to know people before venturing out to meet them? Do you have a local fish group that you could join?

CBT may help also, has your doctor mentioned this to you?
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

I dont know about any local groups yet but I like the idea of talking to other fish people in person.... I was in CBT but it never worked for me... I had seen four different therapists
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe your doctor needs to readjust your medication.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sounds like you need a distraction to get out of your own head for a while. Do you like to read or listen to music? Watch movies?

If you could find some way to shut your mind off for a bit, that would be helpful.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #6 
Leeniex

Have you tried something like knitting to keep your hands and mind occupied? I was depressed for years after my kids were born, feeling trapped and alone. I tried meds but they didn't seem to help. I'm antisocial and have only one good friend. Knitting/crocheting helped me tremendously.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #7 
thekinetic

I have high anxiety and I find meditation helps keep me from slipping down into depression. Just sit comfortably and close your eyes, clear your mind, and focus on the darkness. Now breathe in deeply and slowly for 5 seconds and now out for 5 seconds. Now just continue this for about a half hour everyday, and soon you will find you are more in control of yourself than ever. :)
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #8 
registereduser

Exercise is proven to help with depression, it releases happy endorphins. The question is how does one get motivated to exercise while depressed?

Start with a walk to the mailbox each day. Take your time, breathe deeply and enjoy the sun on your face. Then make the trip a little longer each day. Smile at anyone you meet. Then after awhile you may want to walk faster and stay out longer. You have a doggie, so take him with you. If people stop to admire him, talk to them, don't be afraid.

Let us know how you are doing, OK?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #9 
mcneivra

i'm sorry to hear of your depression. i am the same way in terms of the anxiety and i really like to be on this forum. like others have said, it does feel better if you have something to do. like when i'm at work or in class at school i am happy (most of the time) and in a much greater mood. getting out of the house does help too..you can always talk to me if you ever need it.. it would help us both :)
mcneivra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good advice, guys. When my mom had back surgery I went through some separation an piety. First of all she sent me to Texas while she had surgery. Did not like! When I came home she was at a rehabilitation center recuperating. When she came home I became so worried about her that it was all I could think of. My mind kept spinning and thinking what if this and what if that. I couldn't relax if I was away from her. I ended up on anxiety meds which I'm trying to get off of now.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote