Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #1 
Yunalesca

Multiple males in large community tank?

I was at my LFS today picking up some bits and pieces and spotted the most amazing Betta fish, stunning purple half moon male.
now I already have 3 tanks to look after with a reef tank in the planning stages and do not really want another,however small!

LFS guy knows me so is familiar with my tanks and suggested keeping two or 3 in my main tank, at which point I left, muttering something about ho he was clearly insane but had seemed such a nice man untill then :p
However, on reading the fish profile here I spotted this :

It is stressed enough that some bettas will actually prefer living with several species than by themselves. In the wild, even several males live together in ditches and klongs, frequently sparring against each other to show dominance but rarely killing each other which in an aquarium, unfortunately, is most likely to happen without providing plenty of tank space and plants for the loser to escape.

Which would suggest it is possible..........

So, I am posting for advice.
My main tank is a 5 ft long, 100 US gallon general community, kept at 25 c, PH 6.6 with a mix of soft acidic loving fish(various small tetra, harlequin rasbora, ancistrus plecos ).
Sand substrate plenty of plants(as in need to trim every other week or the fish vanish into the jungle :o ) bog wood and rocks.

Is adding one (or more) betta a possibility or simply asking for disaster?
Yunalesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It is a terrible idea. Also domestic Bettas are way more aggressive. 600 Hundred years of selecting the most aggressive Bettas. Pet Bettas are descended from fighting Bettas of Thailand.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

It can be done actually. But a pond maybe needed for this. I'm not sure if 100 gallons is enough for this, but it's possible. As Choclate said, our Bettas here are way more aggressive than the wild ones. They are a different species as the wild ones.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #4 
Yunalesca

Thankyou both for your speedy responses!
I do understand how artificial these fish are, and that the traits we have considered desirable have led to a hyper aggressive fish, which IMO is a great shame- they are so beautiful.

But thats why we research and discuss thing instead of impulse buying ;)
The shop was happy to put the purple boy on hold for me while I thought things over, so just for clarity multiple males would (as expected) be creating a bloodbath , is it also a no to a single male in this tank?
Obviously that would be with my iso tank on stand by for immediate removal at signs of aggression and cash set aside for his own tank should it be needed.
Obviously I want this fish, but duty of care is to the fish already resident in my tank first and foremost.

ETA _ I wonder if someone from site admin could amen the profile for this fish, as the quoted passage is a little misleading.

Last edited by Yunalesca; 09-10-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Yunalesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
It can be done actually. But a pond maybe needed for this. I'm not sure if 100 gallons is enough for this, but it's possible. As Choclate said, our Bettas here are way more aggressive than the wild ones. They are a different species as the wild ones.
There are over 50 species B.splendens was domesticated from wild ones the ones domesticated are the same species as the original but different. A researcher put 2 male Bettas in a pond both went to the middle and fought. I always wanted a 50 to one hundred gallon 5 assassin snails One male Betta filter CO2 canister and tons of plants.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunalesca View Post
Thankyou both for your speedy responses!
I do understand how artificial these fish are, and that the traits we have considered desirable have led to a hyper aggressive fish, which IMO is a great shame- they are so beautiful.

But thats why we research and discuss thing instead of impulse buying ;)
The shop was happy to put the purple boy on hold for me while I thought things over, so just for clarity multiple males would (as expected) be creating a bloodbath , is it also a no to a single male in this tank?
thank you for asking the general rule which applies to Bettas except the more aggressive ones drab color not looking like them or related not a fin nipper always good to have a back up plan. P.S.for a tank with a male and other fish needs a lot of hiding spots no such thing as a too big tank. But you can do that fish females and other tank mates but there can not be a male with them but I have heard of Blind males with females.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 09-10-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Yuna- Males can be with tropical freshwater fish if they're not nippy and don't have colorful fins. It's great the store holds. ;)
Choc- Um, thanks? You didn't have to tell me all that but it's great to have additional info. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

I would say if you want a bunch of betta together get females. I had a horrible incident long ago when I was in middle school. We were cleaning my two boys tanks out and the tanks were set next to each other. One fish jumped into the others tank and killed him. If they will do that much just to kill a fish in another tank imagine what they would do to each other in the same tank.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

You could house several pairs of Betta imbellis in your community tank. They tend to be fairly peaceful amongst each other and while the males may spar, they won't fight to the death like splendens tend to do.

While they might look like ugly brown fish in store, they are actually quite stunning when you get them home and settle them in. They are also one of the more hardier and less fussy species of wild betta, being from the same complex as splendens, so your tank sounds perfect for them.

As an added bonus, you might also get them to spawn without any added fuss, as wild species don't usually run the risk of one partner maiming or killing the other during courtship.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
You could house several pairs of Betta imbellis in your community tank. They tend to be fairly peaceful amongst each other and while the males may spar, they won't fight to the death like splendens tend to do.

While they might look like ugly brown fish in store, they are actually quite stunning when you get them home and settle them in. They are also one of the more hardier and less fussy species of wild betta, being from the same complex as splendens, so your tank sounds perfect for them.

As an added bonus, you might also get them to spawn without any added fuss, as wild species don't usually run the risk of one partner maiming or killing the other during courtship.
Except Wild B.splendens which is also the most common domestic of the 3.