Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

True wild betta splendens as not as aggressive as domesticated splendens and provided you give enough cover and there is enough space for each fish to get away from each other, then you could probably house 1-2 pairs of wild splendens together. IBC site only recommends a 30 gallon tank for a group of them and the OP has 100 gallons to play with.

However, it is very very hard to find a true wild splendens. I believe that even in their native home, a lot of what gets pulled out of ditches and paddies are hybrids nowadays. Kind of sad as true wild splendens are very nice looking.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Not my point even wild B.splendens fight a lot just no as much B.Imbellis is better.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #13 
djembekah

I think OFL has successfully kept multiple males together in a tank, but that's only after many, many generations of breeding. you'd have to ask her about it.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
I think OFL has successfully kept multiple males together in a tank, but that's only after many, many generations of breeding. you'd have to ask her about it.
Are you talking to me?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #15 
djembekah

oh no, i was talking to the OP, but i'm sure you're free to ask her as well!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
oh no, i was talking to the OP, but i'm sure you're free to ask her as well!
Really the OP struck me as a first time Betta keeper or very few Bettas and never breed them not to be mean that is what the OP sounded like to me.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #17 
kfryman

Quote:
Yeah, she does but she didn't use just random males from the store, which is where the OP is getting them, she has kept them together for at least a couple generations and were bred to be peaceful. Almost all bettas at the store have just been bred for cash.

Unless you divide the tank you can't keep male splendids together, they will seek each other out and fight, the weaker one might try to flea, but the stronger male will just seek out the other and kill him whether stress or literally biting him. A lot of wild males can be housed together though, just make sure they are in proper pairs.

How much current do you have? I know that tetras like more flow and for such a big tank you don't want a betta in there if it is going to be blown around, especially a long gunned males.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #18 
djembekah

Ohh. I can't tell if the OP is a first time betta keeper or not, was just stating that Oldfishlady has done it.

I noticed Yunalesca, you asked if one male betta in your community would be a nono. My PK male does really well with tank mates, it really depends on the fish, even within a species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Yeah, she does but she didn't use just random males from the store, which is where the OP is getting them, she has kept them together for at least a couple generations and were bred to be peaceful. Almost all bettas at the store have just been bred for cash.
i did say that too :)
Old 09-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #19 
magnum

I do know that some Thailand breeders keep there males in large community tanks. By large, I mean REALLY big. Possibly 200 plus Gallons. Of course, this is a huge risk. I do know some males will live quite companionably with females, but then you also run the risk of them breeding. The safest bet is to probably have some Wild's or Strohi in there.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Ohh. I can't tell if the OP is a first time betta keeper or not, was just stating that Oldfishlady has done it.

I noticed Yunalesca, you asked if one male betta in your community would be a nono. My PK male does really well with tank mates, it really depends on the fish, even within a species.

i did say that too :)
I was talking about OP.