Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

Betta log jagged edges!

So, I have a couple of those betta logs from Petsmart. Buddy has had one in his tank for some time now, and I never noticed any issues, though he seldom uses it. I put one in with Bandit two weeks ago..he had started having shredded/bite marks on his tail...I was just cleaning his tank and felt the inside of each of the holes in the betta log, and they are really sharp and jagged! I can't believe how bad they are..I removed his, and will take Buddy's out now too...I'm not sure if I can grind them down. Anyone with these logs in their betta tanks should check theirs out too.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #2 
MSG

Steel nail file helps or any of those manicuring implements.

Most of the spare aquarium decorations I had laying around in the aquarium box were designed I guess for bettas. But after I closer inspection most were not made well.

Don't get too crazy with filing, because you will remove the finish and it will increase the chances the paint will start to bubble/chip.

I've cracked/snapped a lot of decorations during the filing down process also it's a pain to remove the little bits of plastic dust during the sanding because it clings to the decoration. I would be afraid the fish might eat that crap and get their digestive systems clogged up.

The decorations/plants that were just too cheaply made & too troublesome to work on I just donated to other fish keepers.

Once the paint starts to chip, don't bother trying to sand it down for repainting. Too much work.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #3 
Jully

If you can, just get some sand paper and sand it down, hopefully it will smooth it out.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Steel nail file helps or any of those manicuring implements.

Most of the spare aquarium decorations I had laying around in the aquarium box were designed I guess for bettas. But after I closer inspection most were not made well.

Don't get too crazy with filing, because you will remove the finish and it will increase the chances the paint will start to bubble/chip.

I've cracked/snapped a lot of decorations during the filing down process also it's a pain to remove the little bits of plastic dust during the sanding because it clings to the decoration. I would be afraid the fish might eat that crap and get their digestive systems clogged up.

The decorations/plants that were just too cheaply made & too troublesome to work on I just donated to other fish keepers.

Once the paint starts to chip, don't bother trying to sand it down for repainting. Too much work.
Thanks..yeah, it is so frustrating...I have a dremel, so I'm hoping I can get the rough edges and still not affect the finish/paint...I really like these logs and so did Bandit.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Could be something else.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Could be something else.
No, I'm sure it is the log...his tail didn't start having issues until I put the log in..and he was really using it a lot.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #7 
MSG

I think using a dremel might be overkill and can do quite a bit of damage. That's why I use the nail file.

Because of all the QC type issues with these decorations, this is why I'm always on the look out for more natural decorations/hiding spots instead of the plastic formed ones.

Don't you have to use eye protection when you're using a dremel so you don't get shards of material in your eyes?

I definitely think it's the log. I've seen similar decorations, but always found bits of jagged material left over from manufacturing that the INSPECTED by QC person missed.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I think using a dremel might be overkill and can do quite a bit of damage. That's why I use the nail file.

Because of all the QC type issues with these decorations, this is why I'm always on the look out for more natural decorations/hiding spots instead of the plastic formed ones.

Don't you have to use eye protection when you're using a dremel so you don't get shards of material in your eyes?

I definitely think it's the log. I've seen similar decorations, but always found bits of jagged material left over from manufacturing that the INSPECTED by QC person missed.
The dremel style tool I have is extremely adjustable...I have a hundred different speeds and tips I can use...I'm prob just going to use a rough grade sandpaper tool on it...I still just can't believe how sharp and jagged the inside edge of those holes are..sigh
Old 09-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
No, I'm sure it is the log...his tail didn't start having issues until I put the log in..and he was really using it a lot.
New one or filing it down.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

The paint on mine started flaking off so I chucked it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote